Dec 16, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
The surprising Colorado Avalanche haven’t quite come back to Earth like many predicted they would, but a 2-3-1 start to the month of December — which started with an 8-2 loss in Edmonton — adds a bit of urgency to tonight’s home game versus Dallas.
On Saturday, the Avs dropped a 2-1 shootout decision to Minnesota. According to forward Matt Duchene, it was a game that could’ve ended differently.
“I don’t think we played bad hockey,” Duchene said. “I thought we played a heck of a hockey game. We’re having tough luck right now. We made a lot of good plays, and the one that goes in for us hits a skate and goes in. I thought maybe the bounces were going to go our way.”
Here’s how the standings look in the Western Conference:
So this is a big game as well for the Stars, who will likely have to hunt down one of Colorado, Vancouver, or Minnesota for a playoff spot, plus leapfrog Phoenix.
The Stars and Avs play again tomorrow in Dallas.
- NHL on NBCSN: Penguins kick off Rivalry Night vs. Capitals 0
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 50
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)