Dec 16, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
The surprising Colorado Avalanche haven’t quite come back to Earth like many predicted they would, but a 2-3-1 start to the month of December — which started with an 8-2 loss in Edmonton — adds a bit of urgency to tonight’s home game versus Dallas.
On Saturday, the Avs dropped a 2-1 shootout decision to Minnesota. According to forward Matt Duchene, it was a game that could’ve ended differently.
“I don’t think we played bad hockey,” Duchene said. “I thought we played a heck of a hockey game. We’re having tough luck right now. We made a lot of good plays, and the one that goes in for us hits a skate and goes in. I thought maybe the bounces were going to go our way.”
Here’s how the standings look in the Western Conference:
So this is a big game as well for the Stars, who will likely have to hunt down one of Colorado, Vancouver, or Minnesota for a playoff spot, plus leapfrog Phoenix.
The Stars and Avs play again tomorrow in Dallas.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)