Dec 16, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
The surprising Colorado Avalanche haven’t quite come back to Earth like many predicted they would, but a 2-3-1 start to the month of December — which started with an 8-2 loss in Edmonton — adds a bit of urgency to tonight’s home game versus Dallas.
On Saturday, the Avs dropped a 2-1 shootout decision to Minnesota. According to forward Matt Duchene, it was a game that could’ve ended differently.
“I don’t think we played bad hockey,” Duchene said. “I thought we played a heck of a hockey game. We’re having tough luck right now. We made a lot of good plays, and the one that goes in for us hits a skate and goes in. I thought maybe the bounces were going to go our way.”
Here’s how the standings look in the Western Conference:
So this is a big game as well for the Stars, who will likely have to hunt down one of Colorado, Vancouver, or Minnesota for a playoff spot, plus leapfrog Phoenix.
The Stars and Avs play again tomorrow in Dallas.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)