Dec 16, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
The surprising Colorado Avalanche haven’t quite come back to Earth like many predicted they would, but a 2-3-1 start to the month of December — which started with an 8-2 loss in Edmonton — adds a bit of urgency to tonight’s home game versus Dallas.
On Saturday, the Avs dropped a 2-1 shootout decision to Minnesota. According to forward Matt Duchene, it was a game that could’ve ended differently.
“I don’t think we played bad hockey,” Duchene said. “I thought we played a heck of a hockey game. We’re having tough luck right now. We made a lot of good plays, and the one that goes in for us hits a skate and goes in. I thought maybe the bounces were going to go our way.”
Here’s how the standings look in the Western Conference:
So this is a big game as well for the Stars, who will likely have to hunt down one of Colorado, Vancouver, or Minnesota for a playoff spot, plus leapfrog Phoenix.
The Stars and Avs play again tomorrow in Dallas.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 14
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)