Dec 16, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
On Monday, Flyers owner Ed Snider talked about his team’s recent struggles — they’ve lost five of seven — and not-so-subtly suggested that changes could be coming.
“I think we have to take a long hard look at where we are and where we are going,” Snider said, as per CSN Philly. “We’re always doing that and we will continue doing it. Whatever we can do to help the team get over the hump, we will do.
“Obviously, we’re not happy with giving up third-period leads.”
The Flyers have already gone the fired coach route — Peter Laviolette was replaced by Craig Berube just three games into the season — so logic would suggest the next course of action would be a trade.
But that won’t be easy.
Philly is pressed right up against the cap ceiling, with Chris Pronger‘s LTIR relief the only thing keeping it under. It’s also unclear exactly what facet the Flyers would seek to improve through a deal, as everybody is struggling right now — and that includes goalie Steve Mason, who’s arguably been the team’s MVP this year.
Mason has allowed four goals three times already in December and looked shaky in a 5-4 shootout loss to Washington on Sunday, most notably on Dmitry Orlov‘s speculative, long-range shot late in the third period.
Snider was insistent the club is ready to fix whatever problems need fixing.
“This is something that can be corrected and that is something we are going to do.” he said. “However we have to do it.”
May 5, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
‘Hawks and Wild, Ducks and Flames.
May 5, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
For the league’s Most Outstanding Player, voted on by NHLPA members.
May 5, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
Punishment handed down shortly after the Montreal forward apologized publicly.
May 5, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Diminutive forward sat out Sunday with the flu.
May 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Victor Coleman’s “priority” remains the SoDo site, but if that one doesn’t work out…
May 5, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
Scoring on the Capitals hasn’t been easy for the New York Rangers.
May 5, 2015, 2:38 PM EDT
He was emotional.
May 5, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“He’s popped, he’s a person that’s carried himself with outstanding leadership.”
May 5, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
The AHL is going to look dramatically different next season.
May 5, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT
Swiss blueliner hasn’t played since Apr. 2.
May 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
But will Ray Shero eventually look in that direction?
May 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Jordan Schroeder could draw in.
May 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Can they accomplish both?
May 5, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Red Wings brass hoping a little “adversity” is good for the 2013 first-round pick.
May 5, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
They’re facing down the dreaded 10th game tonight.
May 5, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT
The Big Ten’s freshman of the year in 2013-14 heads back to school.
May 5, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
His baffling postseason struggles continued in Game 3.
May 5, 2015, 10:16 AM EDT
Rangy defenseman has enjoyed a hectic 2014-15 campaign.
May 5, 2015, 9:38 AM EDT
It was a good run.
May 5, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Two Game 3’s on the docket.
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 11
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 41
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 21
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 15
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)