Dec 16, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
On Monday, Flyers owner Ed Snider talked about his team’s recent struggles — they’ve lost five of seven — and not-so-subtly suggested that changes could be coming.
“I think we have to take a long hard look at where we are and where we are going,” Snider said, as per CSN Philly. “We’re always doing that and we will continue doing it. Whatever we can do to help the team get over the hump, we will do.
“Obviously, we’re not happy with giving up third-period leads.”
The Flyers have already gone the fired coach route — Peter Laviolette was replaced by Craig Berube just three games into the season — so logic would suggest the next course of action would be a trade.
But that won’t be easy.
Philly is pressed right up against the cap ceiling, with Chris Pronger‘s LTIR relief the only thing keeping it under. It’s also unclear exactly what facet the Flyers would seek to improve through a deal, as everybody is struggling right now — and that includes goalie Steve Mason, who’s arguably been the team’s MVP this year.
Mason has allowed four goals three times already in December and looked shaky in a 5-4 shootout loss to Washington on Sunday, most notably on Dmitry Orlov‘s speculative, long-range shot late in the third period.
Snider was insistent the club is ready to fix whatever problems need fixing.
“This is something that can be corrected and that is something we are going to do.” he said. “However we have to do it.”
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 0
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 88
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (88)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)