Dec 16, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: Department of Player Safety has made it official. “At no point throughout this play does Potter see anything but Bonino’s numbers,” the video states. “It is also important to note that Bonino does not twist or turn in any way immediately prior to this check, to contribute to his being checked from behind.”
Here’s the video:
Potter had a telephone hearing this afternoon and the NHL’s Department of Player Safety ruled swiftly, suspending him a short while later.
Potter doesn’t have history as a repeat offender, and the fact Bonino wasn’t hurt on the play also factored into suspension length — the Anaheim forward left momentarily, but returned to finish the contest.
This is the second controversial hit Potter’s been involved with in recent days. On Wednesday, the Edmonton defenseman was drilled into the boards by Carolina’s Riley Nash, who was given five and a game himself. Nash wasn’t subjected to supplemental discipline from the NHL.
Potter will now miss Tuesday’s game in L.A. and Thursday’s in Colorado, eligible to return when the Oilers host the Blues on Saturday. He’ll also forfeit $7,948.72 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
May 5, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT
They’re facing down the dreaded 10th game tonight.
May 5, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT
The Big Ten’s freshman of the year in 2013-14 heads back to school.
May 5, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
His baffling postseason struggles continued in Game 3.
May 5, 2015, 10:16 AM EDT
Rangy defenseman has enjoyed a hectic 2014-15 campaign.
May 5, 2015, 9:38 AM EDT
It was a good run.
May 5, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Two Game 3’s on the docket.
May 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Washington needs its bottom-six forwards to keep contributing in order to go deep into the playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT
It was his first shutout of the 2015 playoffs.
May 4, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
It’s part of the leadup to the Detroit vs. Colorado outdoor game.
May 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Andre Burakovsky got his first career playoff point.
May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
“Without that, goaltending and team defense can only take you so far.”
May 4, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
All three have won the Stanley Cup.
May 4, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
Her husband faces domestic violence charges.
May 4, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
May 4, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT
And they’ll gladly keep taking man advantage opportunities, too.
May 4, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
“Coming out of junior, we had such high hopes for him.”
May 4, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Big news from the Devils.
May 4, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
And Glen Sather isn’t sure he’ll ever permit it, either.
May 4, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
“I have to get to the inside; that’s the biggest thing.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 3
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 50
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 63
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)