Dec 16, 2013, 6:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: Department of Player Safety has made it official. “At no point throughout this play does Potter see anything but Bonino’s numbers,” the video states. “It is also important to note that Bonino does not twist or turn in any way immediately prior to this check, to contribute to his being checked from behind.”
Here’s the video:
Potter had a telephone hearing this afternoon and the NHL’s Department of Player Safety ruled swiftly, suspending him a short while later.
Potter doesn’t have history as a repeat offender, and the fact Bonino wasn’t hurt on the play also factored into suspension length — the Anaheim forward left momentarily, but returned to finish the contest.
This is the second controversial hit Potter’s been involved with in recent days. On Wednesday, the Edmonton defenseman was drilled into the boards by Carolina’s Riley Nash, who was given five and a game himself. Nash wasn’t subjected to supplemental discipline from the NHL.
Potter will now miss Tuesday’s game in L.A. and Thursday’s in Colorado, eligible to return when the Oilers host the Blues on Saturday. He’ll also forfeit $7,948.72 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 53
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)