Dec 16, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Bit of a slow morning in NHL news, so for no particular reason here’s a ranking of the league’s combined power play and penalty kill rates. Obviously, the higher the number the better.
— Pittsburgh has the league’s best power play and No. 2-ranked penalty kill. That the Pens are dangerous with the man advantage is no surprise, but the PK is a different story. Last season, it finished 25th (79.6%).
— Vancouver has the league’s best PK, the only one above 90 percent. The power play has been coming on as well. The Canucks have scored at least a goal with the man advantage in nine of their last 11 games and are 6-for-20 during their current seven-game winning streak.
— Chicago has the 29th-ranked PK, which doesn’t exactly mesh with its 24-7-5 record. In fact, only the Senators, Leafs, and Islanders have given up more power-play goals (30) than the defending Cup champs (28). Of course, when you’re as good as the Blackhawks are 5-on-5 and with the man advantage, it’s less of a concern.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 5
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)