Dec 16, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Bit of a slow morning in NHL news, so for no particular reason here’s a ranking of the league’s combined power play and penalty kill rates. Obviously, the higher the number the better.
— Pittsburgh has the league’s best power play and No. 2-ranked penalty kill. That the Pens are dangerous with the man advantage is no surprise, but the PK is a different story. Last season, it finished 25th (79.6%).
— Vancouver has the league’s best PK, the only one above 90 percent. The power play has been coming on as well. The Canucks have scored at least a goal with the man advantage in nine of their last 11 games and are 6-for-20 during their current seven-game winning streak.
— Chicago has the 29th-ranked PK, which doesn’t exactly mesh with its 24-7-5 record. In fact, only the Senators, Leafs, and Islanders have given up more power-play goals (30) than the defending Cup champs (28). Of course, when you’re as good as the Blackhawks are 5-on-5 and with the man advantage, it’s less of a concern.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)