Dec 16, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Bit of a slow morning in NHL news, so for no particular reason here’s a ranking of the league’s combined power play and penalty kill rates. Obviously, the higher the number the better.
— Pittsburgh has the league’s best power play and No. 2-ranked penalty kill. That the Pens are dangerous with the man advantage is no surprise, but the PK is a different story. Last season, it finished 25th (79.6%).
— Vancouver has the league’s best PK, the only one above 90 percent. The power play has been coming on as well. The Canucks have scored at least a goal with the man advantage in nine of their last 11 games and are 6-for-20 during their current seven-game winning streak.
— Chicago has the 29th-ranked PK, which doesn’t exactly mesh with its 24-7-5 record. In fact, only the Senators, Leafs, and Islanders have given up more power-play goals (30) than the defending Cup champs (28). Of course, when you’re as good as the Blackhawks are 5-on-5 and with the man advantage, it’s less of a concern.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (80)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)