Dec 16, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Bit of a slow morning in NHL news, so for no particular reason here’s a ranking of the league’s combined power play and penalty kill rates. Obviously, the higher the number the better.
— Pittsburgh has the league’s best power play and No. 2-ranked penalty kill. That the Pens are dangerous with the man advantage is no surprise, but the PK is a different story. Last season, it finished 25th (79.6%).
— Vancouver has the league’s best PK, the only one above 90 percent. The power play has been coming on as well. The Canucks have scored at least a goal with the man advantage in nine of their last 11 games and are 6-for-20 during their current seven-game winning streak.
— Chicago has the 29th-ranked PK, which doesn’t exactly mesh with its 24-7-5 record. In fact, only the Senators, Leafs, and Islanders have given up more power-play goals (30) than the defending Cup champs (28). Of course, when you’re as good as the Blackhawks are 5-on-5 and with the man advantage, it’s less of a concern.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)