Dec 16, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
From the Canadian Press:
Montreal Canadiens tough guy George Parros has sustained his second fighting-related concussion of the season.
Parros was stunned by a pair of late punches in a fight with Eric Boulton in Montreal’s 1-0 overtime road win over the New York Islanders on Saturday. Parros was wobbly getting to his feet, but skated off the ice on his own power.
Yesterday, Parros told veteran hockey reporter Michael Farber that he was free of concussion symptoms. But the 33-year-old didn’t play versus the Panthers and will apparently be evaluated this week.
Parros, of course, was taken off a stretcher in the Habs’ season-opener after being injured in a fight with Toronto’s Colton Orr. Though in that case, it was more of a freak accident, with Parros falling and landing face-first on the ice.
Here’s how Parros got hurt versus the Isles:
With all the attention on concussions and the increasing understanding of their long-term effects, you have to wonder what the future holds for Parros’ hockey career. He’s only played nine games this season, registering no points while averaging just 3:56 of ice time. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 6
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)