Dec 16, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
From the Canadian Press:
Montreal Canadiens tough guy George Parros has sustained his second fighting-related concussion of the season.
Parros was stunned by a pair of late punches in a fight with Eric Boulton in Montreal’s 1-0 overtime road win over the New York Islanders on Saturday. Parros was wobbly getting to his feet, but skated off the ice on his own power.
Yesterday, Parros told veteran hockey reporter Michael Farber that he was free of concussion symptoms. But the 33-year-old didn’t play versus the Panthers and will apparently be evaluated this week.
Parros, of course, was taken off a stretcher in the Habs’ season-opener after being injured in a fight with Toronto’s Colton Orr. Though in that case, it was more of a freak accident, with Parros falling and landing face-first on the ice.
Here’s how Parros got hurt versus the Isles:
With all the attention on concussions and the increasing understanding of their long-term effects, you have to wonder what the future holds for Parros’ hockey career. He’s only played nine games this season, registering no points while averaging just 3:56 of ice time. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent.
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 2
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 37
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (134)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)