Dec 16, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
From the Canadian Press:
Montreal Canadiens tough guy George Parros has sustained his second fighting-related concussion of the season.
Parros was stunned by a pair of late punches in a fight with Eric Boulton in Montreal’s 1-0 overtime road win over the New York Islanders on Saturday. Parros was wobbly getting to his feet, but skated off the ice on his own power.
Yesterday, Parros told veteran hockey reporter Michael Farber that he was free of concussion symptoms. But the 33-year-old didn’t play versus the Panthers and will apparently be evaluated this week.
Parros, of course, was taken off a stretcher in the Habs’ season-opener after being injured in a fight with Toronto’s Colton Orr. Though in that case, it was more of a freak accident, with Parros falling and landing face-first on the ice.
Here’s how Parros got hurt versus the Isles:
With all the attention on concussions and the increasing understanding of their long-term effects, you have to wonder what the future holds for Parros’ hockey career. He’s only played nine games this season, registering no points while averaging just 3:56 of ice time. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)