Dec 16, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
From the Canadian Press:
Montreal Canadiens tough guy George Parros has sustained his second fighting-related concussion of the season.
Parros was stunned by a pair of late punches in a fight with Eric Boulton in Montreal’s 1-0 overtime road win over the New York Islanders on Saturday. Parros was wobbly getting to his feet, but skated off the ice on his own power.
Yesterday, Parros told veteran hockey reporter Michael Farber that he was free of concussion symptoms. But the 33-year-old didn’t play versus the Panthers and will apparently be evaluated this week.
Parros, of course, was taken off a stretcher in the Habs’ season-opener after being injured in a fight with Toronto’s Colton Orr. Though in that case, it was more of a freak accident, with Parros falling and landing face-first on the ice.
Here’s how Parros got hurt versus the Isles:
With all the attention on concussions and the increasing understanding of their long-term effects, you have to wonder what the future holds for Parros’ hockey career. He’s only played nine games this season, registering no points while averaging just 3:56 of ice time. He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)