Dec 16, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
UPDATE 1:31 p.m. ET… The NHL’s Department of Player Safety has since reviewed the hit and confirmed Potter will have a hearing this afternoon.
Here’s the incident in question. The hit occurred early in the second period, netting Potter a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct:
(Should be noted that, given the Oilers don’t play again until Tuesday, the possibility still remains for a hearing to be set.)
This is the second controversial hit Potter’s been involved with in recent days. On Wednesday, the Edmonton defenseman was drilled into the boards by Carolina’s Riley Nash, who was given five and a game himself. Nash wasn’t subjected to supplemental discipline from the NHL.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40