Dec 16, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
After starting the year on fire — 14 points in his first 13 games — Brent Burns has cooled off lately, having failed to score a single goal (and notching just one assist) in his last eight games.
On Monday, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan tried to figure out why.
“His commitment level to working and getting through it is never questioned,” McLellan explained, as per the San Jose Mercury News. “But are you under control enough to be effective?”
Burns is a big, physical presence that has outstanding skating ability — but it does occasionally get him into trouble. Part of moving him from defense to forward was the inherent risk in his game; Burns enjoys playing wild and out of control at times, traits that are less damaging for a forward than they are a blueliner.
“I think as a forward he plays more with reckless abandon, more free,” McLellan said earlier this month, as per CP. “As a D-man there’s more structure in his game, and from how I know Burnsie he’s better off with the reckless abandon than the structure.”
Playing out of control isn’t the only issue, though.
Burns’ transformation into an elite, top-six forward — he, along with captain Joe Thornton and rookie Tomas Hertl have been dynamic when playing together this year — has come with expectations. The Sharks expect Burns to put points on the board.
“He has to find a way to produce,” McLellan explained. “We have to help him. We have to look at where he’s getting his shots from — Is he getting second opportunities? Is he in the play or out of the play? And we’ll continue to do that.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)