Dec 16, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Riley Sheahan, step on up.
That was the message out of Detroit on Monday as Red Wings GM Ken Holland confirmed the club recalled Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, to replace Detroit’s latest injured forward — Johan Franzen.
“We’ve seen [Cory] Emmerton for nine games, we know what he can do,” Holland said, as per the Macomb Daily. “We haven’t really seen Riley Sheahan. He’s a first-round pick.
“He had a pretty good rookie year last year and had a good playoff in Grand Rapids. Let’s see what he can do.”
Sheahan, 22, is best known as the super-drunk-driving Teletubby guy, but has done much to improve his image and reputation. Aside from not drinking anymore, Sheahan has racked up 14 points in 23 games with Grand Rapids this season and is hoping to get a more extensive look at the NHL level, after playing just one game in 2011-12 and one more during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)