Dec 16, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Riley Sheahan, step on up.
That was the message out of Detroit on Monday as Red Wings GM Ken Holland confirmed the club recalled Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, to replace Detroit’s latest injured forward — Johan Franzen.
“We’ve seen [Cory] Emmerton for nine games, we know what he can do,” Holland said, as per the Macomb Daily. “We haven’t really seen Riley Sheahan. He’s a first-round pick.
“He had a pretty good rookie year last year and had a good playoff in Grand Rapids. Let’s see what he can do.”
Sheahan, 22, is best known as the super-drunk-driving Teletubby guy, but has done much to improve his image and reputation. Aside from not drinking anymore, Sheahan has racked up 14 points in 23 games with Grand Rapids this season and is hoping to get a more extensive look at the NHL level, after playing just one game in 2011-12 and one more during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 21
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 29
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)