Dec 16, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Riley Sheahan, step on up.
That was the message out of Detroit on Monday as Red Wings GM Ken Holland confirmed the club recalled Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, to replace Detroit’s latest injured forward — Johan Franzen.
“We’ve seen [Cory] Emmerton for nine games, we know what he can do,” Holland said, as per the Macomb Daily. “We haven’t really seen Riley Sheahan. He’s a first-round pick.
“He had a pretty good rookie year last year and had a good playoff in Grand Rapids. Let’s see what he can do.”
Sheahan, 22, is best known as the super-drunk-driving Teletubby guy, but has done much to improve his image and reputation. Aside from not drinking anymore, Sheahan has racked up 14 points in 23 games with Grand Rapids this season and is hoping to get a more extensive look at the NHL level, after playing just one game in 2011-12 and one more during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)