Dec 16, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Riley Sheahan, step on up.
That was the message out of Detroit on Monday as Red Wings GM Ken Holland confirmed the club recalled Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, to replace Detroit’s latest injured forward — Johan Franzen.
“We’ve seen [Cory] Emmerton for nine games, we know what he can do,” Holland said, as per the Macomb Daily. “We haven’t really seen Riley Sheahan. He’s a first-round pick.
“He had a pretty good rookie year last year and had a good playoff in Grand Rapids. Let’s see what he can do.”
Sheahan, 22, is best known as the super-drunk-driving Teletubby guy, but has done much to improve his image and reputation. Aside from not drinking anymore, Sheahan has racked up 14 points in 23 games with Grand Rapids this season and is hoping to get a more extensive look at the NHL level, after playing just one game in 2011-12 and one more during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 4
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 6
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)