Dec 16, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
Riley Sheahan, step on up.
That was the message out of Detroit on Monday as Red Wings GM Ken Holland confirmed the club recalled Riley Sheahan from AHL Grand Rapids, to replace Detroit’s latest injured forward — Johan Franzen.
“We’ve seen [Cory] Emmerton for nine games, we know what he can do,” Holland said, as per the Macomb Daily. “We haven’t really seen Riley Sheahan. He’s a first-round pick.
“He had a pretty good rookie year last year and had a good playoff in Grand Rapids. Let’s see what he can do.”
Sheahan, 22, is best known as the super-drunk-driving Teletubby guy, but has done much to improve his image and reputation. Aside from not drinking anymore, Sheahan has racked up 14 points in 23 games with Grand Rapids this season and is hoping to get a more extensive look at the NHL level, after playing just one game in 2011-12 and one more during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)