Dec 16, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs played one of their best games of the season Wednesday versus the visiting Kings. But they lost, 3-1, with unheralded goalie Martin Jones stealing the show for L.A.
The next day, the Leafs were “totally brain-dead” against the Blues and lost again, this time deservedly so, by a score of 6-3.
But finally, on Saturday versus the defending champion Blackhawks, they both played well and won.
Toronto’s 7-3 victory snapped a three-game losing streak for the Leafs, who now face the depleted Penguins tonight in Pittsburgh.
“We really felt we needed a win,” forward Joffrey Lupul said after the Chicago game. “It’s a hard stretch for us, a lot of games in a short stretch of time, so Saturday night at home with a day of rest, we came into the game feeling like it was pretty close to a must-win for us. Things were kind of starting to snowball the other way.”
Toronto’s busy stretch doesn’t end tonight either. The Leafs also play tomorrow at home versus Florida. And the Panthers, in case you hadn’t noticed, have won five of their last six.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)