Dec 16, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Injuries and suspensions have tested Pittsburgh’s depth all season long, but Monday night’s projected lineup is…well, something else.
From the morning skate, here what the Penguins will roll out for this evening’s tilt against Toronto:
The reasons for such an obscure lineup (truth time: I had to look up who the heck Zach Sill is) are injuries to Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Rob Scuderi, Tanner Glass, Beau Bennett and Andrew Ebbett.
Meanwhile, Deryk Engelland is suspended indefinitely pending an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety on Wednesday and James Neal is in the midst of his five-game suspension for kneeing Brad Marchand.
Oh, and here’s a fun fact about tonight’s blueline, as per the Pens website:
Combined Despres (60), Bortuzzo (39), Maatta (34), Dumoulin (1) and Samuelsson (0) have played in 134 career NHL games.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)