Dec 16, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Franzen is on “concussion protocol” following a high hit from Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas during a 3-0 loss in Detroit on Sunday. The incident occurred early in the second period and, after Gudas went unpenalized, Franzen blew up at officials and earned a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
Franzen then left the game and didn’t return, finishing with just 6:50 TOI.
“All those guys that get bumped in the head — you know what it’s like in the league now? They’re gone forever, it seems like. So I don’t know what that means,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press following the game. “I don’t know, protocol-wise, what’ll happen. We’ll figure that out.”
It remains unclear if the Wings will recall a forward from AHL Grand Rapids to replace Franzen in the lineup. The 33-year-old Swede has nine goals and 22 points in 30 games this year, averaging just over 17 minutes per night.
Franzen will now join a pretty sizable list of injured Wings, joining Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Danny DeKeyser and Darren Helm on the shelf. Justin Abdelkader is also currently out, undergoing the same concussion protocol as Franzen.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)