Dec 16, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Franzen is on “concussion protocol” following a high hit from Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas during a 3-0 loss in Detroit on Sunday. The incident occurred early in the second period and, after Gudas went unpenalized, Franzen blew up at officials and earned a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.
Franzen then left the game and didn’t return, finishing with just 6:50 TOI.
“All those guys that get bumped in the head — you know what it’s like in the league now? They’re gone forever, it seems like. So I don’t know what that means,” Babcock told the Detroit Free Press following the game. “I don’t know, protocol-wise, what’ll happen. We’ll figure that out.”
It remains unclear if the Wings will recall a forward from AHL Grand Rapids to replace Franzen in the lineup. The 33-year-old Swede has nine goals and 22 points in 30 games this year, averaging just over 17 minutes per night.
Franzen will now join a pretty sizable list of injured Wings, joining Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Danny DeKeyser and Darren Helm on the shelf. Justin Abdelkader is also currently out, undergoing the same concussion protocol as Franzen.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)