Dec 16, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
The way things are going in Columbus tonight, the Blue Jackets might want to ensconce themselves in bubble wrap.
The Jackets lost a pair of defensemen — Dalton Prout and Fedor Tyutin — during Monday night’s game versus the Jets, and are now without forward Derek MacKenzie — leaving Columbus with just 15 healthy skaters.
Prout suffered an upper-body injury after his first shift, playing just 50 seconds total, before being shut down for the night. McKenzie suffered a lower-body injury a short while later and was also ruled out for return, while Tyutin went to the room for repairs after having his mouth bloodied on a James Wright follow-through.
There’s no word yet on whether Tyutin will come back.
As a result of these injuries, Columbus is now rolling with just two defensive pairs — Ryan Murray–David Savard and Jack Johnson–Nikita Nikitin — and trailing 1-0 after Jets forward Mark Scheifele scored his fourth of the season with six minutes to go in the second period.
Updated: Tyutin returned to the game, scoring a goal in the third period.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)