Dec 16, 2013, 8:36 PM EDT
The way things are going in Columbus tonight, the Blue Jackets might want to ensconce themselves in bubble wrap.
The Jackets lost a pair of defensemen — Dalton Prout and Fedor Tyutin — during Monday night’s game versus the Jets, and are now without forward Derek MacKenzie — leaving Columbus with just 15 healthy skaters.
Prout suffered an upper-body injury after his first shift, playing just 50 seconds total, before being shut down for the night. McKenzie suffered a lower-body injury a short while later and was also ruled out for return, while Tyutin went to the room for repairs after having his mouth bloodied on a James Wright follow-through.
There’s no word yet on whether Tyutin will come back.
As a result of these injuries, Columbus is now rolling with just two defensive pairs — Ryan Murray-David Savard and Jack Johnson-Nikita Nikitin — and trailing 1-0 after Jets forward Mark Scheifele scored his fourth of the season with six minutes to go in the second period.
Updated: Tyutin returned to the game, scoring a goal in the third period.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 4
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 11
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 12
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4