Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming

Dec 15, 2013, 12:43 AM EDT

Update: PHT’s Jason Brough reports that Brad Marchand also accused Ryan Kesler of gouging his eyes tonight. Oh boy.

The Vancouver Canucks beat the Boston Bruins 6-2 on Saturday, so one could say they got the last laugh.

That “last laugh” saying might need to be tweaked for sports with 82-game seasons, however. Is it really best that the Canucks got the last laugh, or that the Bruins laughed the “loudest”? One might guess that Marchand would be making an argument for the latter, as his hand motions evoked memories of the Bruins’ victory in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.

NESN mined Marchand’s two moments of Championship pantomiming.

There’s the “invisible Stanley Cup overhead lift and kiss” move:

Not to be outdone, he rolled out the less elaborate kissing-of-the-ring gesture:

So, what’s the verdict? Are you outraged or excited by the 25-year-old antics? Or maybe you’re a little bit of both?

For what it’s worth, this isn’t the only time that Marchand made a gesture to mock his opponents, as he made fun of the Toronto Maple Leafs back in 2011 with a golf swing motion.

At least he’s not pulling an Andrew Ference and going full-on obscene (yet?) though, right?

This marks Vancouver’s seventh win in a row, by the way.

1. ducksk - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM

What a classless punk. Bet it made one Robert Orr puke. No wander nobody in the league likes him.

• weenerman - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I’m sure he does the same gestures to Jarome Iginla in the Bruins’ locker room.

• wikidpissah - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Probably not, since the Bruins didn’t win the Cup by beating Pittsburgh.

• c9castine - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM

how is nothing on here about the lucic bar altercation in vancouver last night.

2. sjsharks66 - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I thought it was tasteless. Maybe he should have focused more on scoring goals.

3. micasa81 - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I guess that’s his interpretation of “acting like he’s been there before”. Nice job, Canucks, not letting him get up in your jimmies tonight.

4. terrier92 - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Bruins season ticket holder Total DB move by Marchand Both of his stunts were classless. He had better pick up his game or he is on his way out. Kid has been a turnover machine this year and is trending down

5. Moop - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Marchand’s going to get what’s coming to him one day, this coming from a Bruins fan. He has to focus on his own game and not on taunting other players; he can be very effective when he’s actually playing. If Kesler did try to gouge his eyes though then that’s awful.

6. muckleflugga - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM

sjsharks66

i’m not sure if taste is of any consequence in hockey…have you ever smelled hockey gear or heard banter around benches or in locker rooms…?

we’re not talking coco chanel or the canadian national university debating society…we’re talking trash talking to trash your opponent’s trash talking

whatever we do, we can’t have any comedy or theatre or celebration in a game where entertainment is measured in dirty play, knuckles and blood…it might put someone’s panties in a wrinkle

me, i love the stuff that shows sports figures dishing out the jive…with large screen hd, crowd reaction has become an added bonus

• sabatimus - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM

TDDTSF.

Thumbed Down Due To Self-Fellatio.

7. canucks30 - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM

• drewzducks - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Congrats on coming out of the closet on PHT !

8. sabatimus - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I’d rather the B’s showed up in the 3rd period instead.

9. slysipops - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM

AND THEN the league wonders why TROLLS like this munchkin get “accidentally ” kicked in the head ? remember when sports pros were not only of great physical abilities, BUT also were real men with mature actions ?

• shaundre93 - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Lol, you think Marchand is the first one to do what he does? You wanna know why I like Marchand? Cause his antics work! Everyone is up in arms whenever he does anything. A facewash, a little slash, some taunting and BOOM time to go crazy against Brad. Obviously didn’t make a difference last night but it helps more than it hurts. If you’re gonna make a statement like that, then I suppose it’s safe to say, following the engelland hit… AND THEN the league wonders why people wanna rip penguins players heads off for throwing dirty cheap hits. Its tasteless. If a little taunt like that gets you off your game then you have some serious problems

• drone501 - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

and this is the exact reason i wish james neal would have knocked him cold. classless piece of crap.

• makemulletsmandatory - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Dont think so many people remember this, as it was in the 40s and 50s…
      And before the allmighty media became the next player.

Its funny, i wonder how many of you who would be in total disbelief if some journos had gotten a hold of clips like this from way back.. Just because you dont read about it doesnt mean its not happening.

NHL Vault > NHL Gamecenter any day.

10. sjsharks66 - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Flugga,

All of your post on PHT have no points to them. You just ramble on about things that make no sense. I guess you try to crack jokes but they are just terrible and not funny.

• micasa81 - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:00 AM

If you’re expecting him to just make a point, I’d say you’re missing the point. And as far as his humor, you certainly have to weed through a lot of drivel, but he’s come up with a few lines that have had me laughing out loud. I often disagree with what he says (when I can understand it), but I much prefer him to the average hate-spewing numb-nuts we’ve seen come out of the woodwork in the past week.

11. muckleflugga - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM

sjsharks66

all is cool, but turnabout is fairplay…

i find your posts lacking in wit or willingness to engage wit, and somewhat demonstrative of someone who watches rather than plays…but that’s only my opinion and not necessarily representative of consensus

your opinion matters and i love you for it; only its content is subject to critique

like sabatimus, i sense you are female, or male deeply in touch with his feminine side

cool

chanceoffleury is i suspect, female. her offerings are detailed, supported by understandings bought through patient study of the game. she loves her team, but only posts when she has something of consequence to say. she writes beautifully and her voice sings through her words

she has wit and responds to wit

cool

i have a wide-ranging scope, and will play with material: from deep thoughtful analysis borne of worldly education, experience and bred-in-the-bone hockey knowledge, to wordplay, theatre of the absurd, and intentionally abrasive barb designed to incite discussion

cool

sjsharks66…

loosen up, let a few notches out…there is much to learn if you engage the process

it’s all a game kid

be cool

• blomfeld - Dec 15, 2013 at 3:51 AM

MY NAME IS BLOMFELD AND I SAY THAT FLUGGA IS A ‘GIFT’ TO THIS WEBSITE ! :)

Well stated comrade Flugga as always and may God bless you ! I’m completely ‘out of the loop’ here tonight on this Canuckle/Bruins business, due to some Christmas soirees which I was obliged to attend after closing shop. Nonetheless, my decoders have now cracked your ’13 part message’ from last night and we thank you for the heads up ! :)

ie: “Blackhawk forces now expected to attack on Sunday, December 15th … likely targets are either Martin Jones, Drew Doughty or Jeff Carter … strongly suggest you go ‘full alert’ asap and take necessary ‘counter’ measures … do not notify Washington … say again, do not notify Washington”

• joey4id - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Dang! I may even get to like this Flugga character. Reminds me of past times here where I didn’t take to someone kindly until I got to understand the humor. Cheers!

12. jhaegs - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Where’s James KNEEL when you need him?

• stepanup - Dec 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

You mean when you kneed him?

13. jhaegs - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM

God, I’m so freaking punny!

14. keltictim - Dec 15, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Ducksk good call bobby Orr clearly never trashed talked an opponent. Marchand is doing what he’s supposed to do, be a pest, every team has a guy the other team hates. I have an easy solution for you when he gets you all riled up, take your index finger and middle finger, move you’re arm towards your rear, and remove the panties that are clearly do far up your anus you can’t see straight. There now doesn’t that feel better?!

15. pavelfitzgerald - Dec 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM

Getting an endorsement from Blomfeld is the kiss of death.
    I will say I found this kind’ve hilarious. If this is classless than what is Patrick Roy’s infamous “My 2 Stanley Cup rings must have been plugging my ears” comment?
    Most people find that hilarious. I like this better then Neal running his knee theough Marchand’s head or Thornton jumping on a defenceless Oprik

16. jhaegs - Dec 15, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Kind’ve????????

17. buysamadrink - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Well, Neal’s knee to the head sure didn’t make ol’ Brad any classier. By the way, how did that Stanley Cup thing work out for you last year?

• shaundre93 - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Not bad considering they made it farther than 28 other teams. I’d call that a successful season

• duster1982 - Dec 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

lol sorry but that’s always a horrible comment. When the goal is winning the cup, youre no better than the last place team if you dont.

18. 1969l78 - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM

So does Kane give him the double finger!

19. bunkerhillbob - Dec 15, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I love this guy, he makes the game so much more entertaining. This rivalry is great, now, since their clash for the Cup. I love a guy who plays with the passion Marchand shows and he’s a small guy, mixing it up with bigger players. Way to stay ballsey, Brad.

• drone501 - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

people like you crucified matt cooke for playing the same style as this dude.

• bunkerhillbob - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Not even close; Cooke ended careers with his dirty hits; Marchand hasn’t even come close to that.

• isithockeyseasonyet - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Your homerism makes me laugh as I’m sure I’m the same way w my team…Marchand is a close comparison to Matt Cooke and I’m sure you’d see that if you weren’t a B’s fan

• shaundre93 - Dec 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

As soon as Marchand ends a career and slashes some Achilles, we’ll talk. He might be a huge POS to some of you, but aside from Salo can’t think of anytime marchand has caused an injury. Marchand isn’t even on the same level as Neal when it comes to being dirty

20. doublezero74 - Dec 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

OMG!!!! Marchand is soooooo classless. What a bad person he is! He actually showed someone his ring finger!!!

Why don’t all you self righteous, self appointed behavior police get a hold of yourselves. You sound like whiny little girls.

21. arbruins - Dec 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I hope all the classy fans didn’t burn the city down after that game.

22. wishingtonredslur - Dec 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Where is the story on the eye gauging? Is it just the tweet?

23. sclairebear - Dec 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Of course, true to the Bruins way of doing business, Marchand blames his classless actions on someone else. The Bruins rarely if ever, take responsibility for doing something wrong, it’s always, “[Insert opponent's name here] made me do it” And of course, their Propaganda Ministers at NESN back them up, in this case, congratulating Marchand for a “creative” taunt. I honestly believe that if a Bruins player would kick a puppy, the Bruins players and their Propaganda Ministers at NESN would find a way to blame it on the puppy. Stay classy, Bruins!

• shaundre93 - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM

grow up dude. The first thing NESN said was,” Well if you’re gonna taunt brad, at least make it creative.” Thus nulling the already stupid comment you made. If you don’t like NESN, don’t watch! Its the New England Sports Network, you think they’re not going to show bias toward New England based teams? FYI Marchand wins because everyone is so upset about this. I bet he loves it

24. wethog66 - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Can’t stand the guy, but he is good at what he is, being a cock.

25. shaundre93 - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I cant believe this is news worthy lol. PHT doing all they can to stir the pot. Was it necessary? Probably not, but neither is any other trash talk, and that happens all over the ice. It was just some innocent taunting to get Marchand through a long, crappy game for the B’s. The fact that you’re all getting so wound up about this means that Marchand is “WINNING!” to use the words of good ole Mr. Sheen. Everyone says “Don’t feed the troll”, you’ve given Marchand enough food to last for months on this one.

26. martysbetter - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Brad Marchand is one of my favorite players in the NHL, he’s the best pest in the league and can put up numbers. I personally think he’s hilarious and a hell of a hockey player.

27. joey4id - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Does this taunting demand him to drop the gloves and fight like a man? I mean, if a clean check demands the checker to “man up” then I suspect you would expect the same for taunting.

28. penvik - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Yeah, still can’t believe Neal let up and brushed Marchand. If he knew he was getting 5 gms he should have smoked him. Shanahan should be removing the remainder of Neal’s suspension this
    Morning. Marchand is making a joke out of the NHL.

29. isithockeyseasonyet - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I want to see this dude fight, all he does is talk trash, take cheap shots and look like pee wee herman

30. steelers88 - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Anyone else think that Iginla is the classiest guy on the Bruins? STAY CLASSY BRUINS!!!!

31. blackhawks2010 - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Interesting that Canucks fans are criticizing this (yes, it’s a stupid move), however, Canucks fans at Rogers were screaming Boston Strong chants throughout the game, well before this happened. This was more a retaliation in my opinion.

• salmon90 - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

A) Reading through the comments, I think it’s mainly Boston fans who are criticizing Marchand.

B) Marchand first did the cup raising gesture after the pre-game warm-up – there goes your retaliation theory.

C) Canuck fans were chanting “Boston sucks” not “Boston strong”

D) Raan7a

• micasa81 - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Welcome Blackhawks2010, we know how much you love Canucks stories and were wondering when you were going to make an appearance. They were chanting “Boston sucks”, which to be fair, won’t be viewed as the classiest behavior, but certainly isn’t outside the norm for fans at an nhl game against a rival. That’s a damn sight different than “Boston strong”. I know it’s cruel of me to take away your last morcel of comfort on a night you got thumped by the mighty “Leaves”, but what can I say, life’s a bi-otch.

32. sixchr - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Just about every team has a rat and Marchand is the Bruins’. I find it humorous and creative so I’m not gonna rip the guy a new one for it. My only issue is if he’s going to be a rat his play needs to pick up and be consistent. I love the guy but if he’s not playing well and just acting like a dink then we’ve got a problem here.

33. jhuck92 - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

If this was December of 2011, I’d have no problem with it. He earned the right to, as Joe Thornton would say, “have his [rooster] out, stroking it.” But it’s been 2 years after they won, and they just got beat in the last cup finals. Vancouver isn’t even in the same conference! I could understand if it was against Montreal or New York.

34. nhstateline - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I thought 1) this was pretty creative, 2) further evidence for why the rest of the NHL hates Marchand. As for the Nucks fans chanting “Boston Sucks”, you paid your money and you can chant whatever you want. If the Hawks come to Boston and do the same thing Marchand did, I would probably laugh. It’s pretty funny. What’s not funny are all the comments, about Neal hitting Marchant harder. He wouldn’t straight up fight him though, would he ? Knee to the head, total class. Speaking of which, Mario having anything to say about Derek Enggeland this morning ? Didn’t think so. Head shots need to be banned when the other guys do it but when my guys do, hey it’s part of the game. Enggeland should get 10 games for that. What a cheap hit.

35. dboldave - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM

My god are people sensitive these days!

36. blackhawks2010 - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Micasa81 First off, you are emblematic of why everyone in the NHL hates Vancouver. Not because the Canucks are good (they aren’t), not because they win titles (they don’t), nor because they have a solid class fanbase (nope again).

Keep focusing on the Boston’s, Chicago’s of the world. We are solid sports towns that don’t embarrass ourselves in the manner Canuckleheads do. Riots and burn your city down, that’s what the world thinks of you. We laugh at you.

37. micasa81 - Dec 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

“Keep focusing on the Boston’s, Chicago’s of the world”

~ Says the guy trolling an article about the Canucks, ha ha. Dude, I wasn’t talking about Boston or Chicago, or their respective fanbases,I was talking about you. Just you, the guy who consistently makes an arse of yourself showing up to spout the most inane, facepalm-inducing insults at the Canucks. I fully admit that I wish my team had been able to enjoy the success yours has in the past few years, and that’s what is so confusing about you. If you actually enjoy cheering for a good team like the Hawks, what keeps bringing you back to whinge about the Canucks, pathetic team that they are?

38. ralphwilsonisrich - Dec 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM

The return of Ken Linsman!

39. bronxsanman - Dec 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

A classless move from a classless player from a classless city! What do you expect!

40. comeonnowguys - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I thought this was much classier than Kassian’s taunt of Gagner.

Where’s the outrage there, Vancouver fans?

• micasa81 - Dec 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Well, considering I’m not outraged about what Marchand did, why would I be outraged about Kassian? If you think you’re imparting some as-yet-undiscovered truth telling us that Zack Kassian sometimes does boneheaded things, you must think we don’t watch our own hockey team.

What the hell, this may be an article about Marchand’s on-ice antics, but we seem to be attracting a Hawks crowd, so let’s have some more fun with Kassian:

• comeonnowguys - Dec 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Truth be told, I really don’t hate Vancouver. They’re a Burrows away from being safely in the “meh” category. And actually, I like Luongo.

My bandwagon-hopping, non-hockey-knowing, falsely-considering-Vancouver-lifelong-hated-rivals team affiliation has nothing to do with Kassian being weak sauce. Which is fine. Until I see people take umbrage with an asshat like Marchand being an well, an asshat.

41. canada2014gold - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I will admit that. But moves made them unprofessional punks. But at least kassian can back himself up. Apparently more offensively than Marchand too

42. comeonnowguys - Dec 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Really? Taunting a guy whose jaw you broke with a reckless high stick is “backing it up?”

43. motoqrss - Dec 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM

This is why he gets knee’s to the head. Doucherod

44. flash8910 - Dec 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

The guy is a classless punk.

HOWEVER, he still did not deserve to get kneed in the head by Neale. As sad as it sounds, he really didn’t. As much as I personally would want to myself, it is still not the right thing to do.

45. slaugin - Dec 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM

People actually get upset when a player taunts/trash talks? At least he didn’t bite one of their player ring fingers

46. trciii - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Interesting why Marchand has to go back a couple of years to show his toughness…

Check out pictures of Marchand turteling in last year’s Stanley Cup Final (search images of Andrew Shaw Brad Marchand)… AND he had “0” points in 6 games…

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive