Dec 15, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Things weren’t exactly going swimmingly for the Detroit Red Wings coming into this weekend, but their fortunes seemed to sink even lower over the past two days. A 3-0 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday just seemed to wrap everything up.
- The Red Wings are now on a a five-game losing streak and have lost six of their last seven contests.
- They out-shot the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday and Lightning today, yet they lost the two games by a combined score of 7-1.
- Their baffling struggles at Joe Louis Arena continue; they’re now 5-8-6 at home.
- Injuries continue to pile up. Add Johan Franzen from today and Justin Abdelkader from Saturday to a list that includes Henrik Zetterberg, Jimmy Howard, Darren Helm and Stephen Weiss.
Yup, that’s some pretty miserable stuff.
With this win, the Tampa Bay Lightning find themselves with 41 standings points (19-11-3 in 33 games played), leaving them two ahead of the Washington Capitals (39 points in 33 games) and the Red Wings (39 points in 35 games). The Bolts aren’t lighting up the world as Steven Stamkos rehabs, yet they’re finding a way to win in patches.
Meanwhile, the Red Wings continue to search for answers … and maybe hope for their luck to turn around.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)