Dec 15, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
Things weren’t exactly going swimmingly for the Detroit Red Wings coming into this weekend, but their fortunes seemed to sink even lower over the past two days. A 3-0 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday just seemed to wrap everything up.
- The Red Wings are now on a a five-game losing streak and have lost six of their last seven contests.
- They out-shot the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday and Lightning today, yet they lost the two games by a combined score of 7-1.
- Their baffling struggles at Joe Louis Arena continue; they’re now 5-8-6 at home.
- Injuries continue to pile up. Add Johan Franzen from today and Justin Abdelkader from Saturday to a list that includes Henrik Zetterberg, Jimmy Howard, Darren Helm and Stephen Weiss.
Yup, that’s some pretty miserable stuff.
With this win, the Tampa Bay Lightning find themselves with 41 standings points (19-11-3 in 33 games played), leaving them two ahead of the Washington Capitals (39 points in 33 games) and the Red Wings (39 points in 35 games). The Bolts aren’t lighting up the world as Steven Stamkos rehabs, yet they’re finding a way to win in patches.
Meanwhile, the Red Wings continue to search for answers … and maybe hope for their luck to turn around.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6