Dec 15, 2013, 7:53 PM EST
Things weren’t exactly going swimmingly for the Detroit Red Wings coming into this weekend, but their fortunes seemed to sink even lower over the past two days. A 3-0 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday just seemed to wrap everything up.
- The Red Wings are now on a a five-game losing streak and have lost six of their last seven contests.
- They out-shot the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday and Lightning today, yet they lost the two games by a combined score of 7-1.
- Their baffling struggles at Joe Louis Arena continue; they’re now 5-8-6 at home.
- Injuries continue to pile up. Add Johan Franzen from today and Justin Abdelkader from Saturday to a list that includes Henrik Zetterberg, Jimmy Howard, Darren Helm and Stephen Weiss.
Yup, that’s some pretty miserable stuff.
With this win, the Tampa Bay Lightning find themselves with 41 standings points (19-11-3 in 33 games played), leaving them two ahead of the Washington Capitals (39 points in 33 games) and the Red Wings (39 points in 35 games). The Bolts aren’t lighting up the world as Steven Stamkos rehabs, yet they’re finding a way to win in patches.
Meanwhile, the Red Wings continue to search for answers … and maybe hope for their luck to turn around.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 1
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 51
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (51)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)