Dec 15, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers will face the Montreal Canadiens without Jonathan Huberdeau on Sunday. His run of 81 straight games played ends because of a foot injury, according to George Richards of the Miami Herald.
The 20-year-old fought through the pain of a hip issue that eventually required surgery to win the 2013 Calder Trophy, but this issue is apparently too much of a hindrance for him to play tonight.
He has 15 points in 33 games played this season. Playing against Montreal would have been meaningful for the young forward, but he told Richards that he’s opting to play it safe.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)