Dec 15, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
Here’s a look around the crease for today’s games…
Grubauer gets the call
Capitals rookie Philipp Grubauer will get the call to start when the Capitals host the Flyers. It’s the first time the two teams duked it out the last time. Steve Mason gets the call for Philadelphia meaning if Ray Emery wants to fight Braden Holtby again, we’ll have to see a completely ridiculous game. Don’t laugh, we’ve seen goofy things happen before.
Bishop faces Mrazek in Motor City
Both the Lightning and Red Wings had games Saturday night which means the backups last night get the call today. For Tampa Bay that means Ben Bishop gets the nod while Petr Mrazek goes for Detroit. Mrazek was recently recalled when Jimmy Howard went down with a sprained MCL.
Ramo looks to keep frustrating Rangers in New York
Calgary’s Karri Ramo was top-notch against the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday and he’ll get to keep on, keepin’ on against the Rangers today as he’ll get the start once again. The Rangers will look to turn things around at home with Henrik Lundqvist getting the start. Things didn’t go so hot for him on Thursday when he gave up three goals in the first period before being pulled in a 4-2 loss to Columbus. The Rangers have lost five home games in a row.
- Scott Clemmensen gets the start for Florida against Montreal. It’s expected that Carey Price will start for the Canadiens.
- The Blackhawks host the Kings in another battle of teams who played yesterday. The Kings could go with Ben Scrivens for the first time since December 2 (five games) while Chicago will likely go back to Antti Raanta after he was chased out of action by the Maple Leafs last night.
- In Anaheim, the matchup could feature Ilya Bryzgalov for the Edmonton Oilers up against Jonas Hiller for the Ducks.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50