Dec 15, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
Here’s a look around the crease for today’s games…
Grubauer gets the call
Capitals rookie Philipp Grubauer will get the call to start when the Capitals host the Flyers. It’s the first time the two teams duked it out the last time. Steve Mason gets the call for Philadelphia meaning if Ray Emery wants to fight Braden Holtby again, we’ll have to see a completely ridiculous game. Don’t laugh, we’ve seen goofy things happen before.
Bishop faces Mrazek in Motor City
Both the Lightning and Red Wings had games Saturday night which means the backups last night get the call today. For Tampa Bay that means Ben Bishop gets the nod while Petr Mrazek goes for Detroit. Mrazek was recently recalled when Jimmy Howard went down with a sprained MCL.
Ramo looks to keep frustrating Rangers in New York
Calgary’s Karri Ramo was top-notch against the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday and he’ll get to keep on, keepin’ on against the Rangers today as he’ll get the start once again. The Rangers will look to turn things around at home with Henrik Lundqvist getting the start. Things didn’t go so hot for him on Thursday when he gave up three goals in the first period before being pulled in a 4-2 loss to Columbus. The Rangers have lost five home games in a row.
- Scott Clemmensen gets the start for Florida against Montreal. It’s expected that Carey Price will start for the Canadiens.
- The Blackhawks host the Kings in another battle of teams who played yesterday. The Kings could go with Ben Scrivens for the first time since December 2 (five games) while Chicago will likely go back to Antti Raanta after he was chased out of action by the Maple Leafs last night.
- In Anaheim, the matchup could feature Ilya Bryzgalov for the Edmonton Oilers up against Jonas Hiller for the Ducks.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)