Dec 15, 2013, 6:21 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers saw a 4-1 lead evaporate over about eight stunning minutes against the Capitals on Sunday, as Washington eventually won 5-4 via a shootout.
Halfway through the third period, it seemed like the story of Sunday’s Flyers – Capitals game would be all about Michael Raffl‘s emergence, as he collected three assists today. Instead, Steve Mason & Co. couldn’t hold off a mad rush by the Capitals.
Mike Green gave the Capitals a shot with this 4-2 goal 11:20 into the third period:
Dmitri Orlov scored his first goal of 2013-14 with about three and a half minutes left, as things started to get a little anxious:
Finally, Alex Ovechkin collected his league-leading 27th marker of the season* to tie things up with less than a minute remaining in the game:
The Capitals continue to ride Ovechkin’s ridiculous scoring, Nicklas Backstrom‘s underrated work (two assists, shootout-winning goal) and Philipp Grubauer‘s continued competence to another win. They’re now 18-12-3 on the season as they’ve won six of their last nine games.
The Flyers flubbed a chance to return to .500, as they’re now 14-15-4 and have dropped four of their last five games. At least they’ll get a chance for quick revenge against the Capitals, as the two teams meet again in Washington on Tuesday.
* – Scorekeepers seemed to go back and forth on Washington’s first goal either going to Ovechkin or Marcus Johansson, so Ovi either finished Sunday with 27 or 28 goals.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST
“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”
Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST
Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
That’s former minor-league player Jordan Hart.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST
Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”
Mar 5, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Might get into coaching.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Huge blow to their slim playoff chances.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny 0
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52