Dec 15, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers saw a 4-1 lead evaporate over about eight stunning minutes against the Capitals on Sunday, as Washington eventually won 5-4 via a shootout.
Halfway through the third period, it seemed like the story of Sunday’s Flyers – Capitals game would be all about Michael Raffl‘s emergence, as he collected three assists today. Instead, Steve Mason & Co. couldn’t hold off a mad rush by the Capitals.
Mike Green gave the Capitals a shot with this 4-2 goal 11:20 into the third period:
Dmitri Orlov scored his first goal of 2013-14 with about three and a half minutes left, as things started to get a little anxious:
Finally, Alex Ovechkin collected his league-leading 27th marker of the season* to tie things up with less than a minute remaining in the game:
The Capitals continue to ride Ovechkin’s ridiculous scoring, Nicklas Backstrom‘s underrated work (two assists, shootout-winning goal) and Philipp Grubauer‘s continued competence to another win. They’re now 18-12-3 on the season as they’ve won six of their last nine games.
The Flyers flubbed a chance to return to .500, as they’re now 14-15-4 and have dropped four of their last five games. At least they’ll get a chance for quick revenge against the Capitals, as the two teams meet again in Washington on Tuesday.
* – Scorekeepers seemed to go back and forth on Washington’s first goal either going to Ovechkin or Marcus Johansson, so Ovi either finished Sunday with 27 or 28 goals.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)