Dec 15, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers saw a 4-1 lead evaporate over about eight stunning minutes against the Capitals on Sunday, as Washington eventually won 5-4 via a shootout.
Halfway through the third period, it seemed like the story of Sunday’s Flyers – Capitals game would be all about Michael Raffl‘s emergence, as he collected three assists today. Instead, Steve Mason & Co. couldn’t hold off a mad rush by the Capitals.
Mike Green gave the Capitals a shot with this 4-2 goal 11:20 into the third period:
Dmitri Orlov scored his first goal of 2013-14 with about three and a half minutes left, as things started to get a little anxious:
Finally, Alex Ovechkin collected his league-leading 27th marker of the season* to tie things up with less than a minute remaining in the game:
The Capitals continue to ride Ovechkin’s ridiculous scoring, Nicklas Backstrom‘s underrated work (two assists, shootout-winning goal) and Philipp Grubauer‘s continued competence to another win. They’re now 18-12-3 on the season as they’ve won six of their last nine games.
The Flyers flubbed a chance to return to .500, as they’re now 14-15-4 and have dropped four of their last five games. At least they’ll get a chance for quick revenge against the Capitals, as the two teams meet again in Washington on Tuesday.
* – Scorekeepers seemed to go back and forth on Washington’s first goal either going to Ovechkin or Marcus Johansson, so Ovi either finished Sunday with 27 or 28 goals.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Edmonton’s 2014 first-round pick wants to stick around right away.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
He becomes an unrestricted free agent if he isn’t signed by Aug. 15.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
(He’s the tall one in the middle.)
Jul 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
“That’s an exciting guy to watch.”
Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
“There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details,” she said in a statement.
Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers countered with a two-year deal at $2.05M per.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Avoiding arbitration in the process.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Yeah, this one’s going to arbitration.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EDT
“We are looking forward to having Vladimir in a Blues uniform when he returns to the NHL,” said GM Doug Armstrong.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Things apparently went sour with Patrick Roy.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s assortment of links.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Will he manage to make the team right away?
Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
They know their outdoor games.
Jul 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
His still-deadly shot doesn’t hurt, either.
Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Jason Spezza sold his former Ottawa home for $1.7 million.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)