Dec 15, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers saw a 4-1 lead evaporate over about eight stunning minutes against the Capitals on Sunday, as Washington eventually won 5-4 via a shootout.
Halfway through the third period, it seemed like the story of Sunday’s Flyers – Capitals game would be all about Michael Raffl‘s emergence, as he collected three assists today. Instead, Steve Mason & Co. couldn’t hold off a mad rush by the Capitals.
Mike Green gave the Capitals a shot with this 4-2 goal 11:20 into the third period:
Dmitri Orlov scored his first goal of 2013-14 with about three and a half minutes left, as things started to get a little anxious:
Finally, Alex Ovechkin collected his league-leading 27th marker of the season* to tie things up with less than a minute remaining in the game:
The Capitals continue to ride Ovechkin’s ridiculous scoring, Nicklas Backstrom‘s underrated work (two assists, shootout-winning goal) and Philipp Grubauer‘s continued competence to another win. They’re now 18-12-3 on the season as they’ve won six of their last nine games.
The Flyers flubbed a chance to return to .500, as they’re now 14-15-4 and have dropped four of their last five games. At least they’ll get a chance for quick revenge against the Capitals, as the two teams meet again in Washington on Tuesday.
* – Scorekeepers seemed to go back and forth on Washington’s first goal either going to Ovechkin or Marcus Johansson, so Ovi either finished Sunday with 27 or 28 goals.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Decatur and St. Michael-Albertville.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
Both will look to give their respective team a 2-1 series lead.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
He made 42 saves in Chicago’s Game 1 win.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Puck drop for both games is at 3 p.m. ET.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He won’t play Games 3 and 4.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
He could be suspended for Game 3.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Neither will play Game 2 tonight.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
He received an instigator penalty late in Game 2.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (109)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)