Dec 15, 2013, 11:29 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov returned to action on Sunday, but it wasn’t enough to get the Edmonton Oilers back on a winning track or end the Anaheim Ducks’ surge. The Ducks won their fifth in a row by beating the Oilers 3-2 tonight.
Even so, it wasn’t all bad for Bryzgalov or his team.
“There were lots of positives for us tonight,” Bryzgalov said. “It’s unfortunate we weren’t able to get a win.”
Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins agrees.
“I can’t find a lot wrong with our game tonight. I thought our guys played excellent right to the end,” Eakins said. “It’s one of those nights where you feel like you deserved a point, if not both.”
They didn’t get a point for their third consecutive game, however.
The Ducks are keeping within a stride of first place, as they’re just one win shy of tying the Chicago Blackhawks.
On the other end of the spectrum, the Oilers remain the third worst team in the NHL and the worst in the West.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)