Dec 15, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have been getting outstanding play from a pair of rookie defensemen this season. Eric Gelinas and Jon Merrill have jumped into the NHL and done so seamlessly. They’ve also been paired up together since arriving from Albany.
That is they were paired up together. Devils coach Peter DeBoer broke up the pair in the Devils’ 3-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but as Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shares, breakups aren’t forever.
“I thought we got what we wanted (in the last two periods Friday) night and I thought our defense group was good again (Saturday) night,” DeBoer said. “When I say (I) split them up, I’m sure they’re going to play together again. It just might not be in the next game or two.”
Gelinas is third amongst Devils defensemen in points with 13, trailing only Andy Greene and Marek Zidlicky. Those two veterans average more ice time per game than the rookie, as you’d expect, but Gelinas’ play has impressed this season.
Merrill has averaged over 17 minutes per game in his 12 games of action this year. He has one assist and has a minus-5 rating.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)