Dec 14, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
It must get old to provide the same cliches over and over again when you’re on a losing team. Blake Wheeler finally seemed to let loose on Saturday following the Winnipeg Jets’ 6-4 loss to the Dallas Stars.
“We’ve been blowing smoke for three years, everyone, myself, everyone that’s stood in front of a microphone in the last three years, we’ve said the same [blank],” Wheeler said, via the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless. “What do you want me to say? That’s about it. I don’t know what else to say.”
One can see why Wheeler & Co. are fuming.
The Jets have lost three games in a row, as today’s defeat put Winnipeg under .500 on the season (14-15-5). The franchise has only made the playoffs once, and that was as the Atlanta Thrashers in 2006-07.
It’s enough to make Lawless wonder about accountability.
so the question to me, and has been for some time, when will #nhljets leadership group take accountability on the ice?
— gary lawless (@garylawless) December 15, 2013
To be fair to Wheeler, the 27-year-old is one of the team’s most dependable producers, especially lately. He’s found the net twice in each of the last two games and has eight points in his last six contests. The budding power forward hasn’t seen the postseason since he played for Boston in 2009-10.
Perhaps something dramatic – maybe a key player letting loose following a frustrating loss – is needed for the Jets to finally start turning things around?
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)