Dec 14, 2013, 8:14 PM EST
It must get old to provide the same cliches over and over again when you’re on a losing team. Blake Wheeler finally seemed to let loose on Saturday following the Winnipeg Jets’ 6-4 loss to the Dallas Stars.
“We’ve been blowing smoke for three years, everyone, myself, everyone that’s stood in front of a microphone in the last three years, we’ve said the same [blank],” Wheeler said, via the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless. “What do you want me to say? That’s about it. I don’t know what else to say.”
One can see why Wheeler & Co. are fuming.
The Jets have lost three games in a row, as today’s defeat put Winnipeg under .500 on the season (14-15-5). The franchise has only made the playoffs once, and that was as the Atlanta Thrashers in 2006-07.
It’s enough to make Lawless wonder about accountability.
so the question to me, and has been for some time, when will #nhljets leadership group take accountability on the ice?
— gary lawless (@garylawless) December 15, 2013
To be fair to Wheeler, the 27-year-old is one of the team’s most dependable producers, especially lately. He’s found the net twice in each of the last two games and has eight points in his last six contests. The budding power forward hasn’t seen the postseason since he played for Boston in 2009-10.
Perhaps something dramatic – maybe a key player letting loose following a frustrating loss – is needed for the Jets to finally start turning things around?
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)