Dec 14, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Now that Shawn Thornton‘s 15-game suspension is official, let’s take a look at some of reactions from around the league. As you might have guessed after all the controversy this incident has attracted, a spectrum of opinions have been voiced.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Dejan Kovacevic called it “sickening” and compared Thornton’s actions to Todd Bertuzzi‘s. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also labeled Thornton’s punishment as “woefully inadequate.”
Meanwhile, Kevin Allen declared this a “fair, defensible sentence” that can be seen as “a victory for those who believe that it is imperative to protect the image of the game” in his USA Today column.
Let’s close things out with some reactions from hockey writers and analysts on Twitter, starting with Eric Macramalla, who writes PHT’s Ask a Lawyer series:
15 games sends a message to potential jurors that NHL takes care of its players brains; although perhaps not a resounding declaration #works
— Eric Macramalla (@EricOnSportsLaw) December 14, 2013
I rip Shanahan plenty. Fifteen games to Thornton is a good call. Lucky it wasn't 20. That was flat-out assault.
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) December 14, 2013
Many surprised by 15 gm suspension for Shawn Thornton, but not much to argue if a 10-gamer seemed reasonable. Can't do what he did. Period
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 14, 2013
If you think Thornton's suspension was unfair, you love the Bruins, or maybe him, or fighters in general. You're not capable of rationality.
— Sean Gentille (@seangentille) December 14, 2013
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)