Dec 14, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Now that Shawn Thornton‘s 15-game suspension is official, let’s take a look at some of reactions from around the league. As you might have guessed after all the controversy this incident has attracted, a spectrum of opinions have been voiced.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Dejan Kovacevic called it “sickening” and compared Thornton’s actions to Todd Bertuzzi‘s. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also labeled Thornton’s punishment as “woefully inadequate.”
Meanwhile, Kevin Allen declared this a “fair, defensible sentence” that can be seen as “a victory for those who believe that it is imperative to protect the image of the game” in his USA Today column.
Let’s close things out with some reactions from hockey writers and analysts on Twitter, starting with Eric Macramalla, who writes PHT’s Ask a Lawyer series:
15 games sends a message to potential jurors that NHL takes care of its players brains; although perhaps not a resounding declaration #works
— Eric Macramalla (@EricOnSportsLaw) December 14, 2013
I rip Shanahan plenty. Fifteen games to Thornton is a good call. Lucky it wasn't 20. That was flat-out assault.
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) December 14, 2013
Many surprised by 15 gm suspension for Shawn Thornton, but not much to argue if a 10-gamer seemed reasonable. Can't do what he did. Period
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 14, 2013
If you think Thornton's suspension was unfair, you love the Bruins, or maybe him, or fighters in general. You're not capable of rationality.
— Sean Gentille (@seangentille) December 14, 2013
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 4
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 4
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)