Dec 14, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Now that Shawn Thornton‘s 15-game suspension is official, let’s take a look at some of reactions from around the league. As you might have guessed after all the controversy this incident has attracted, a spectrum of opinions have been voiced.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Dejan Kovacevic called it “sickening” and compared Thornton’s actions to Todd Bertuzzi‘s. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also labeled Thornton’s punishment as “woefully inadequate.”
Meanwhile, Kevin Allen declared this a “fair, defensible sentence” that can be seen as “a victory for those who believe that it is imperative to protect the image of the game” in his USA Today column.
Let’s close things out with some reactions from hockey writers and analysts on Twitter, starting with Eric Macramalla, who writes PHT’s Ask a Lawyer series:
15 games sends a message to potential jurors that NHL takes care of its players brains; although perhaps not a resounding declaration #works
— Eric Macramalla (@EricOnSportsLaw) December 14, 2013
I rip Shanahan plenty. Fifteen games to Thornton is a good call. Lucky it wasn't 20. That was flat-out assault.
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) December 14, 2013
Many surprised by 15 gm suspension for Shawn Thornton, but not much to argue if a 10-gamer seemed reasonable. Can't do what he did. Period
— Joe Haggerty (@HackswithHaggs) December 14, 2013
If you think Thornton's suspension was unfair, you love the Bruins, or maybe him, or fighters in general. You're not capable of rationality.
— Sean Gentille (@seangentille) December 14, 2013
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)