Dec 14, 2013, 5:33 PM EST
Thornton still has the option to appeal the length of his suspension. Agent Anton Thun said that they’ll take a few days before deciding if they want to go down that route, according to ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
If they do, Thornton and his agent will likely have the backing of his team after Bruins president Cam Neely stated that 15 contests was “higher than I expected and higher than I think is warranted.”
Of course, the NHL’s decision has led to a wide range of reactions beyond Neely’s.
If Thornton does appeal the suspension, it would be to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. Should Bettman uphold the ruling, then he could further appeal the decision to a neutral arbitrator. No player has done that since the NHL’s current CBA was implemented.
When Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta considered taking his 10-game suspension all the way to an arbitrator, it reportedly caused “widespread unease” in the NHLPA. There was reportedly a feeling that the NHLPA was helping the defendants over the victims. However, Kaleta decided not to take the process that far.
Only time will tell if Thornton will take things further than Kaleta.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)