Dec 14, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT
Thornton still has the option to appeal the length of his suspension. Agent Anton Thun said that they’ll take a few days before deciding if they want to go down that route, according to ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
If they do, Thornton and his agent will likely have the backing of his team after Bruins president Cam Neely stated that 15 contests was “higher than I expected and higher than I think is warranted.”
Of course, the NHL’s decision has led to a wide range of reactions beyond Neely’s.
If Thornton does appeal the suspension, it would be to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. Should Bettman uphold the ruling, then he could further appeal the decision to a neutral arbitrator. No player has done that since the NHL’s current CBA was implemented.
When Buffalo’s Patrick Kaleta considered taking his 10-game suspension all the way to an arbitrator, it reportedly caused “widespread unease” in the NHLPA. There was reportedly a feeling that the NHLPA was helping the defendants over the victims. However, Kaleta decided not to take the process that far.
Only time will tell if Thornton will take things further than Kaleta.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)