Dec 14, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Derek Stepan seemed to be on a path to stardom when he scored 18 goals and 44 points in 48 games last season. It was enough to get him invited to USA Hockey’s orientation camp for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics.
Rather than build on his success though, Stepan has regressed to the point where he has just five goals and 20 points in 33 contests. He has plenty of pressure being put on him this season and perhaps that camp invite has actually been a negative for that reason.
“It’s hard not to tell you that it’s not your mind as a guy that was invited to a summer camp and maybe could be a possible bubble guy,” Stepan admitted, according to Blue Shirts United. “It’s something that you think about.”
He added that it would be best to forget it and focus exclusively on the Rangers game against Calgary on Sunday.
The possibility of making the Olympic team is just one of the potential sources of pressure on him. He entered the season amid higher expectations and with the Rangers struggling offensively, he’s one of the primary guys people are looking at to step up.
He also was engaged in heated contract negotiations as a restricted free agent that ended with him getting a huge, but short-term raise. He’ll play out this season of his two-year, $6.15 million deal and then his agent could potentially start working towards a long-term contract with the Rangers. How he does in 2013-14 will have a profound impact on what that next deal will look like.
Ultimately, regardless of why Stepan is struggling, the Rangers need more out of him. The team’s shortcomings certainly can’t be blamed on any one player, but Stepan heating up would go a long way towards them turning their season around.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)