Dec 14, 2013, 11:10 AM EST
Derek Stepan seemed to be on a path to stardom when he scored 18 goals and 44 points in 48 games last season. It was enough to get him invited to USA Hockey’s orientation camp for the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics.
Rather than build on his success though, Stepan has regressed to the point where he has just five goals and 20 points in 33 contests. He has plenty of pressure being put on him this season and perhaps that camp invite has actually been a negative for that reason.
“It’s hard not to tell you that it’s not your mind as a guy that was invited to a summer camp and maybe could be a possible bubble guy,” Stepan admitted, according to Blue Shirts United. “It’s something that you think about.”
He added that it would be best to forget it and focus exclusively on the Rangers game against Calgary on Sunday.
The possibility of making the Olympic team is just one of the potential sources of pressure on him. He entered the season amid higher expectations and with the Rangers struggling offensively, he’s one of the primary guys people are looking at to step up.
He also was engaged in heated contract negotiations as a restricted free agent that ended with him getting a huge, but short-term raise. He’ll play out this season of his two-year, $6.15 million deal and then his agent could potentially start working towards a long-term contract with the Rangers. How he does in 2013-14 will have a profound impact on what that next deal will look like.
Ultimately, regardless of why Stepan is struggling, the Rangers need more out of him. The team’s shortcomings certainly can’t be blamed on any one player, but Stepan heating up would go a long way towards them turning their season around.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)