Struggling Leafs clobber surging ‘Hawks 7-3

Dec 14, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT

toewslupulgetty Getty Images

The mighty Chicago Blackhawks came into Saturday with a three-game winning streak while the unpredictable Toronto Maple Leafs had lost three in a row. You can cue Chris Berman’s go-to “That’s why they play the game” line, as the Maple Leafs blew the Blackhawks out 7-3 tonight.

Don’t act like you saw that one coming …

Much was made about the Maple Leafs’ uneven scoring coming into this contest, yet The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle captures the turnaround quite well:

One other stat that shows how unexpected this outcome was for many: it’s been almost a decade since the Leafs beat Chicago, as their last win against the ‘Hawks came on Feb. 12, 2003, according to Mirtle.

While the Maple Leafs enjoyed contributions from a variety of players, the Blackhawks probably feel better about acquiring Jason LaBarbera after tonight’s action. Antti Raanta was pulled after two periods of play, giving way to Kent Simpson, whose NHL debut didn’t go swimmingly.

It’s a long season, so upsets can happen. The Maple Leafs showed that tonight, and face a chance to build momentum, as seven of their next 10 games take place in Toronto.

1. nothanksimdriving123 - Dec 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM

See it coming? Holy carp, I could swear the scoreboard read 4-0 for the Hawks during the national anthems! No, I did not see this coming.

2. hammerhead5573 - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM

The Hawks looked terrible tonight and the Leafs did pretty much everything right. That’s great for them. Lopsided loses happen, the Hawks have been on the winning end of 3 of 4 lopsided games recently. I can get past the lopsided loses, that is going to happen to every team more than once in a season. It’s the penalty kill that is extremely worrisome for the Hawks. If this trend happens throughout the year, they will have a difficult time having any type of success iin the playoffs. I can’t imagine I am the only Hawks fan who cringes every time the opposing team goes on the power play

• withseidelinn - Dec 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I agree, I saw the PK stats recently and was pretty shocked to see CHI at the 25th spot. (could have changed from then). Right off the bat the Leafs had great momentum from a few bad CHI penalties, and they were able to convert on their first chance. Pretty much set the pace from there.

• endusersolutions2013 - Dec 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM

They are 5th on the PP, but 29th on the PK. I wince right along with Hammer

3. jhaegs - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Statement game… lol

• hammerhead5573 - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Is this groundhogs day or what? Jhaegs just happens to show up after a St Louis win and a Hawks loss. An article about the Hawks loss has “piqued” your interest…….yet again!???? Gotta admit, didn’t see it coming. Haha

4. blackhawksdynasty - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

“Cringe” would be an understatement. But everything you wrote is exactly right.

Although I struggled to see the puck in standard definition. Damn dish network can’t televise hockey night in Canada in HD???

WTF??

• blackhawksdynasty - Dec 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM

^^^supposed to be a reply to hammerhead^^^
      My smartphone has a success rate about equal to the Hawks PK. Sad.

5. jhaegs - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Most be groundhogs day because you’re whining about a joke comment. I comment on a lot of teams throughout the NHL, NFL, and MLB, so please don’t flatter yourself.

• hammerhead5573 - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Flattering myself would be going on NHL, NFL, and MLB boards and overstating my importance. Ooh was that a “joke comment”, my bad. Geez where do I go from here…….oh I now….LOL.

• hammerhead5573 - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM

*know

6. jhaegs - Dec 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM

*MUST

7. slysipops - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

it wasn’t just the goalies who sucked…..IT WAS THE WHOLE TEAM ! maybe the coaches coaches should have asked the HAWKS if they really wanted to play tonight ( because it surely did not look like it) they could have just brought the complete ROCKFORD ICE HOG team to TORONTO ! it was so tireing listening to the CBC announcers trying to make the game sound interesting by pumping up KANE’S attributes constantly…….ALL THE WHILE IGNORING ALL THE BLIND GIVE-A-WAY PASSES HE WAS THROWING! and it wasn’t just him the “D” was especially pathetic….no NORRIS TROPHY lookers last night ! there were MAYBE 2 or 3 players that didn’t look like they never woke up this morning… the rest were ALL STILL ASLEEP !

8. muckleflugga - Dec 15, 2013 at 1:37 AM

slysipops

hearing you re cbc…

were it a close game, you’d not of heard a word about hawks…cbc can get magnanimous when the game’s in hand…the flag waving has always been a turn-off…i hate intermingling of nationalism or propaganda in sports…olympics to come

troot be tolled, i was all set-up for an original six fly and die goal-fest, this in relief from the week’s shenanigans…it looked like taranna played the hawks’ game, and hawks were vexed accordingly…even phaneuf looked like he’d found game

i thought cherry was pretty much bang-on tonight, so that made it all good

hawks and leafs in playoffs would rock

9. jhaegs - Dec 15, 2013 at 2:16 AM

@hammerhead

I’m actually flattered by the fact that you remember me and some of my previous comments. Are you the weirdo that keeps trying to follow me on Twitter? I appreciate all the selfies you sent me, but I will have to decline. That one of you in nothing but a Kane jersey is my favorite.

• hammerhead5573 - Dec 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Dude I actually laughed at that, thanks so much. A – I don’t even have Twitter, and B – I wouldn’t exactly pat your self on the back for someone remembering your comments, they were for all the wrong reasons. Who is flattering themselves now? I do thank you though, I needed that laugh.

10. blackhawks2010 - Dec 15, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Hawks took the night off. I blame Bolland for keeping the Champs out late Friday night until the wee hours in Toronto bars….

Time to step it up boys, big bounce back game at the Madhouse tonite!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches