Dec 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Schneider surrendered three goals in the first period, including a weak one to Pascal Dupuis just as the contest was getting underway.
“I thought I had it and somehow it sort of snuck down out of my right. Obviously just an inexcusable goal. That can’t happen at this level. It’s not fair to my teammates to put them down like that 40 seconds into the game,” Schneider said, according to the Star-Ledger.
“I’ve always prided myself on trying not to give up goals like that. I don’t think that’s ever really happened to me before. I couldn’t really explain it. We lost the game by a goal and there it is.”
You can view the goal below:
The Devils were a completely different team after the first period and consequently Schneider only had to face 11 shots over the final 40 minutes. He has only won four of his 15 starts despite posting a 1.97 GAA and .917 save percentage.
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 3
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 37
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 46
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)