Dec 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Schneider surrendered three goals in the first period, including a weak one to Pascal Dupuis just as the contest was getting underway.
“I thought I had it and somehow it sort of snuck down out of my right. Obviously just an inexcusable goal. That can’t happen at this level. It’s not fair to my teammates to put them down like that 40 seconds into the game,” Schneider said, according to the Star-Ledger.
“I’ve always prided myself on trying not to give up goals like that. I don’t think that’s ever really happened to me before. I couldn’t really explain it. We lost the game by a goal and there it is.”
You can view the goal below:
The Devils were a completely different team after the first period and consequently Schneider only had to face 11 shots over the final 40 minutes. He has only won four of his 15 starts despite posting a 1.97 GAA and .917 save percentage.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)