Dec 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Schneider surrendered three goals in the first period, including a weak one to Pascal Dupuis just as the contest was getting underway.
“I thought I had it and somehow it sort of snuck down out of my right. Obviously just an inexcusable goal. That can’t happen at this level. It’s not fair to my teammates to put them down like that 40 seconds into the game,” Schneider said, according to the Star-Ledger.
“I’ve always prided myself on trying not to give up goals like that. I don’t think that’s ever really happened to me before. I couldn’t really explain it. We lost the game by a goal and there it is.”
You can view the goal below:
The Devils were a completely different team after the first period and consequently Schneider only had to face 11 shots over the final 40 minutes. He has only won four of his 15 starts despite posting a 1.97 GAA and .917 save percentage.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)