Dec 14, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
After a week long wait and an in-person hearing, NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has decided to hand Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton a 15-game suspension for knocking Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik to the ice and punching him in the head during Boston’s 3-2 win on Dec. 7, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Update (4:05 p.m. ET): The length has been confirmed.
Thornton was pulled off of Orpik and handed a match penalty while Orpik was taken off the ice on a stretcher. Orpik suffered a concussion and didn’t skate again until Friday.
Before that incident, Orpik delivered an open-ice hit on Loui Eriksson. The Boston Bruins forward suffered his second concussion in as many months as a result.
Thornton’s suspension is the second longest of the Shanahan-era, behind only Raffi Torres. This is also the biggest punishment he’s given for a regular season incident. He will be eligible to return for Boston’s game against San Jose on Jan. 11.
Shanahan argued that Thornton’s actions were not spontaneous, but rather an “act of retribution.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)