Dec 14, 2013, 11:32 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Detroit Red Wings 4-1 on Saturday, yet that final score was far from the biggest news. Here are three updates on other stories that emerged from this evening:
Deryk Engelland will face an in-person hearing with the league regarding his check on Justin Abdelkader, according to the NHL’s Player Safety Twitter feed. That opens the door for a potentially longer suspension. Here’s video of that hit:
Engelland, 31, has one three-game suspension on his NHL resume.
In injury news: Evgeni Malkin suffered a lower-body injury during Saturday’s game while Kris Letang missed it altogether with an upper-body issue. More might be known on Sunday; for the moment, head coach Dan Bylsma said he wasn’t sure if either problem might be long-term.
Pittsburgh already came into tonight banged up, but things could just get worse over the next few days.
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 2
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 7
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)