Dec 14, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Detroit Red Wings 4-1 on Saturday, yet that final score was far from the biggest news. Here are three updates on other stories that emerged from this evening:
Deryk Engelland will face an in-person hearing with the league regarding his check on Justin Abdelkader, according to the NHL’s Player Safety Twitter feed. That opens the door for a potentially longer suspension. Here’s video of that hit:
Engelland, 31, has one three-game suspension on his NHL resume.
In injury news: Evgeni Malkin suffered a lower-body injury during Saturday’s game while Kris Letang missed it altogether with an upper-body issue. More might be known on Sunday; for the moment, head coach Dan Bylsma said he wasn’t sure if either problem might be long-term.
Pittsburgh already came into tonight banged up, but things could just get worse over the next few days.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 4
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 106
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)