Dec 14, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Detroit Red Wings 4-1 on Saturday, yet that final score was far from the biggest news. Here are three updates on other stories that emerged from this evening:
Deryk Engelland will face an in-person hearing with the league regarding his check on Justin Abdelkader, according to the NHL’s Player Safety Twitter feed. That opens the door for a potentially longer suspension. Here’s video of that hit:
Engelland, 31, has one three-game suspension on his NHL resume.
In injury news: Evgeni Malkin suffered a lower-body injury during Saturday’s game while Kris Letang missed it altogether with an upper-body issue. More might be known on Sunday; for the moment, head coach Dan Bylsma said he wasn’t sure if either problem might be long-term.
Pittsburgh already came into tonight banged up, but things could just get worse over the next few days.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)