Dec 14, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
Following news of Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton‘s 15-game suspension, Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero and head coach Dan Bylsma had a basic message, as both mostly praised the player while criticizing the incident itself.
“I think it’s a pretty strong message,” Bylsma said.
Bylsma said that the ruling speaks volumes about getting those types of incidents out of the game. He also noted that while Brooks Orpik did skate on Friday, it was “strictly to be active” and doesn’t indicate that he’s seen in a reduction in symptoms.
The video below covers Shero’s comments, which echo what Bylsma said:
The Penguins’ Saturday contest included a questionable incident, as Deryk Engelland was ejected for a hit on Justin Abdelkader of the Detroit Red Wings. The above quotes came before the game, in case you’re wondering …
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)