Dec 14, 2013, 8:19 PM EDT
Saturday night is fairly young, yet the NHL already has a couple new, questionable hits to look at. Add Pittsburgh Penguins tough guy Deryk Engelland‘s check on Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader to the mix.
Engelland, 31, received a match penalty for the hit. Here’s video of that check:
If you want some added perspective, here are a couple takes from beat writers on the scene:
Abdelkader went pretty low with head, but responsibility to avoid head is on player delivering hit, in this case Engelland. He’ll pay.
— Dejan Kovacevic (@Dejan_Kovacevic) December 15, 2013
That last reverse angle appears to show Engelland catching Abdelkader’s head as the principal point of contact.
— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) December 15, 2013
Abdelkader needed help off the ice. He won’t return to the game, according to MLive.com’s Ansar Khan.
Engelland has one three-game suspension (checking to the head) on his record, according to Cap Geek’s listings.
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 0
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 6
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 31
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 41
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25