Dec 14, 2013, 8:19 PM EDT
Saturday night is fairly young, yet the NHL already has a couple new, questionable hits to look at. Add Pittsburgh Penguins tough guy Deryk Engelland‘s check on Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader to the mix.
Engelland, 31, received a match penalty for the hit. Here’s video of that check:
If you want some added perspective, here are a couple takes from beat writers on the scene:
Abdelkader went pretty low with head, but responsibility to avoid head is on player delivering hit, in this case Engelland. He’ll pay.
— Dejan Kovacevic (@Dejan_Kovacevic) December 15, 2013
That last reverse angle appears to show Engelland catching Abdelkader’s head as the principal point of contact.
— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) December 15, 2013
Abdelkader needed help off the ice. He won’t return to the game, according to MLive.com’s Ansar Khan.
Engelland has one three-game suspension (checking to the head) on his record, according to Cap Geek’s listings.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 1
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 19
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 91
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (92)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)