Dec 14, 2013, 8:19 PM EDT
Saturday night is fairly young, yet the NHL already has a couple new, questionable hits to look at. Add Pittsburgh Penguins tough guy Deryk Engelland‘s check on Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader to the mix.
Engelland, 31, received a match penalty for the hit. Here’s video of that check:
If you want some added perspective, here are a couple takes from beat writers on the scene:
Abdelkader went pretty low with head, but responsibility to avoid head is on player delivering hit, in this case Engelland. He’ll pay.
— Dejan Kovacevic (@Dejan_Kovacevic) December 15, 2013
That last reverse angle appears to show Engelland catching Abdelkader’s head as the principal point of contact.
— Seth Rorabaugh (@emptynetters) December 15, 2013
Abdelkader needed help off the ice. He won’t return to the game, according to MLive.com’s Ansar Khan.
Engelland has one three-game suspension (checking to the head) on his record, according to Cap Geek’s listings.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)