Dec 14, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
Richards points out that Thomas, 39, is eligible to return in a Dec. 20 game against the Winnipeg Jets. Naturally, that doesn’t mean he’ll be good to go by then, though.
Blame it on age or the rust that came with skipping the 2012-13 season (or a combination of the two factors), but Thomas has been hobbled by lower-body injuries this season. He missed four games in October and six more in November with lower-body ailments. At least one of the two problems were groin-related.
The Panthers have leaned heavily upon Thomas when he has been healthy. He played in all but one game from Nov. 9 to Dec. 10.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)