Dec 14, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
With Edmonton Oilers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov ready to return, it looked like Jason LaBarbera would be sent back to the AHL Oklahoma City Barons. He will head to the minors, but the destination has changed.
The Blackhawks acquired the 33-year-old goaltender in exchange for future considerations. He has a 3.28 GAA and .870 save percentage in seven games with Edmonton this season.
Chicago needed to add some netminding depth with Corey Crawford and Nikolai Khabibulin both sidelined due to lower-body injuries. The Blackhawks have confirmed that LaBarbera will play for the AHL Rockford IceHogs, so Antti Raanta and Kent Simpson will stay with Chicago for now.
For Edmonton, this move will presumably save them some money given that LaBarbera has a one-way contract worth $1 million.
Oilers confirm that Ilya Bryzgalov has been activated from Injured Reserve.
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) December 14, 2013
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)