Dec 14, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
With Edmonton Oilers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov ready to return, it looked like Jason LaBarbera would be sent back to the AHL Oklahoma City Barons. He will head to the minors, but the destination has changed.
The Blackhawks acquired the 33-year-old goaltender in exchange for future considerations. He has a 3.28 GAA and .870 save percentage in seven games with Edmonton this season.
Chicago needed to add some netminding depth with Corey Crawford and Nikolai Khabibulin both sidelined due to lower-body injuries. The Blackhawks have confirmed that LaBarbera will play for the AHL Rockford IceHogs, so Antti Raanta and Kent Simpson will stay with Chicago for now.
For Edmonton, this move will presumably save them some money given that LaBarbera has a one-way contract worth $1 million.
Oilers confirm that Ilya Bryzgalov has been activated from Injured Reserve.
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) December 14, 2013
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)