Dec 14, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
With Edmonton Oilers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov ready to return, it looked like Jason LaBarbera would be sent back to the AHL Oklahoma City Barons. He will head to the minors, but the destination has changed.
The Blackhawks acquired the 33-year-old goaltender in exchange for future considerations. He has a 3.28 GAA and .870 save percentage in seven games with Edmonton this season.
Chicago needed to add some netminding depth with Corey Crawford and Nikolai Khabibulin both sidelined due to lower-body injuries. The Blackhawks have confirmed that LaBarbera will play for the AHL Rockford IceHogs, so Antti Raanta and Kent Simpson will stay with Chicago for now.
For Edmonton, this move will presumably save them some money given that LaBarbera has a one-way contract worth $1 million.
Oilers confirm that Ilya Bryzgalov has been activated from Injured Reserve.
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) December 14, 2013
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)