Dec 14, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
With Edmonton Oilers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov ready to return, it looked like Jason LaBarbera would be sent back to the AHL Oklahoma City Barons. He will head to the minors, but the destination has changed.
The Blackhawks acquired the 33-year-old goaltender in exchange for future considerations. He has a 3.28 GAA and .870 save percentage in seven games with Edmonton this season.
Chicago needed to add some netminding depth with Corey Crawford and Nikolai Khabibulin both sidelined due to lower-body injuries. The Blackhawks have confirmed that LaBarbera will play for the AHL Rockford IceHogs, so Antti Raanta and Kent Simpson will stay with Chicago for now.
For Edmonton, this move will presumably save them some money given that LaBarbera has a one-way contract worth $1 million.
Oilers confirm that Ilya Bryzgalov has been activated from Injured Reserve.
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) December 14, 2013
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)