Dec 14, 2013, 9:48 AM EST
The Winnipeg Jets haven’t been terrible this season, but in the Western Conference mediocrity is a sin.
With a 14-14-5 record, they are eight points shy of the Phoenix Coyotes and the final Wild Card spot despite having played in two extra games. Of course, more than just the Coyotes stand in the way of Winnipeg’s first postseason berth since the franchise relocated from Atlanta.
For example, the Dallas Stars currently match the Jets in points, but have played in three fewer contests. The two squads will face off this afternoon. Even in mid-December, these are two badly needed points for both squads as making up significant ground in the second half will be a daunting task.
If nothing else, a win would prevent the Jets from suffering a three-game sweep at home. They did push the Colorado Avalanche to a shootout on Thursday, but afterwards a frustrated coach Claude Noel said that he doesn’t “deal in moral victories.”
Perhaps the Jets will respond with an actual win.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)