Dec 14, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Forward Troy Brouwer immediately fought Gudbranson over the incident and once that scrap was over, the 21-year-old blueliner was handed a match penalty. It looks like he won’t face any further discipline though, reports Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
There were questions raised as to whether or not Gudbranson should be suspended, given that he appeared to hit Fehr’s head, but Panthers coach Peter Horachek strongly disagrees with that assessment.
“It was directly his shoulder that hit [Fehr] in the chest first and the follow through might hit him on the chin as it’s going through, but it’s straight on,” Horachek said, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
As for Fehr, he temporarily left the game, but returned for the third period.
“I don’t know what his intent was exactly, I haven’t seen the replay so I’m not going to comment on that. It didn’t feel good,” Fehr told the Washington Post. “That was a close call, definitely. It definitely stung me. I think I dodged a bullet there.”
If you want to view the hit for yourself and the fight that followed, you can do so below:
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)