Dec 14, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Even before Philadelphia’s game against Washington on Nov. 1, the Flyers were a frustrated team. So when it became clear that the Capitals were would blowout the Flyers, they imploded.
In total, the Flyers ended up with 99 penalty minutes while Washington accumulated 65. The scraps also sidelined Philadelphia’s Vinny Lecavalier (facial injuries) and Steve Downie (concussion) for a time.
Now the two teams will play each other twice over the span of three days, starting Sunday afternoon. Philadelphia is going into this with the memory of that blowout, but they don’t want to make too much out of the rematch.
His comments weren’t an outlier in the Flyers’ lockerroom. Scott Hartnell figures that it will be a physical match, but said his team needs to focus on getting points.
For his part Emery isn’t sure if there will be any carry over, but he’s happy that Philadelphia has bounced back since that game. That loss put them at 3-9-0 on the season and while they certainly can’t be happy with how the campaign has gone, at least they’re within striking distance of a playoff spot.
Washington currently holds second place in the Metropolitan Division and has a six-point cushion over Philadelphia. This is a rare opportunity for the Flyers to make up a lot of ground all at once. That alone should be enough motivation for them.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)