Dec 14, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Even before Philadelphia’s game against Washington on Nov. 1, the Flyers were a frustrated team. So when it became clear that the Capitals were would blowout the Flyers, they imploded.
In total, the Flyers ended up with 99 penalty minutes while Washington accumulated 65. The scraps also sidelined Philadelphia’s Vinny Lecavalier (facial injuries) and Steve Downie (concussion) for a time.
Now the two teams will play each other twice over the span of three days, starting Sunday afternoon. Philadelphia is going into this with the memory of that blowout, but they don’t want to make too much out of the rematch.
His comments weren’t an outlier in the Flyers’ lockerroom. Scott Hartnell figures that it will be a physical match, but said his team needs to focus on getting points.
For his part Emery isn’t sure if there will be any carry over, but he’s happy that Philadelphia has bounced back since that game. That loss put them at 3-9-0 on the season and while they certainly can’t be happy with how the campaign has gone, at least they’re within striking distance of a playoff spot.
Washington currently holds second place in the Metropolitan Division and has a six-point cushion over Philadelphia. This is a rare opportunity for the Flyers to make up a lot of ground all at once. That alone should be enough motivation for them.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)