Dec 14, 2013, 3:44 PM EST
Even before Philadelphia’s game against Washington on Nov. 1, the Flyers were a frustrated team. So when it became clear that the Capitals were would blowout the Flyers, they imploded.
In total, the Flyers ended up with 99 penalty minutes while Washington accumulated 65. The scraps also sidelined Philadelphia’s Vinny Lecavalier (facial injuries) and Steve Downie (concussion) for a time.
Now the two teams will play each other twice over the span of three days, starting Sunday afternoon. Philadelphia is going into this with the memory of that blowout, but they don’t want to make too much out of the rematch.
His comments weren’t an outlier in the Flyers’ lockerroom. Scott Hartnell figures that it will be a physical match, but said his team needs to focus on getting points.
For his part Emery isn’t sure if there will be any carry over, but he’s happy that Philadelphia has bounced back since that game. That loss put them at 3-9-0 on the season and while they certainly can’t be happy with how the campaign has gone, at least they’re within striking distance of a playoff spot.
Washington currently holds second place in the Metropolitan Division and has a six-point cushion over Philadelphia. This is a rare opportunity for the Flyers to make up a lot of ground all at once. That alone should be enough motivation for them.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (165)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)