Dec 14, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Even before Philadelphia’s game against Washington on Nov. 1, the Flyers were a frustrated team. So when it became clear that the Capitals were would blowout the Flyers, they imploded.
In total, the Flyers ended up with 99 penalty minutes while Washington accumulated 65. The scraps also sidelined Philadelphia’s Vinny Lecavalier (facial injuries) and Steve Downie (concussion) for a time.
Now the two teams will play each other twice over the span of three days, starting Sunday afternoon. Philadelphia is going into this with the memory of that blowout, but they don’t want to make too much out of the rematch.
His comments weren’t an outlier in the Flyers’ lockerroom. Scott Hartnell figures that it will be a physical match, but said his team needs to focus on getting points.
For his part Emery isn’t sure if there will be any carry over, but he’s happy that Philadelphia has bounced back since that game. That loss put them at 3-9-0 on the season and while they certainly can’t be happy with how the campaign has gone, at least they’re within striking distance of a playoff spot.
Washington currently holds second place in the Metropolitan Division and has a six-point cushion over Philadelphia. This is a rare opportunity for the Flyers to make up a lot of ground all at once. That alone should be enough motivation for them.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 3
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 5
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 35
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)