Dec 14, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Even before Philadelphia’s game against Washington on Nov. 1, the Flyers were a frustrated team. So when it became clear that the Capitals were would blowout the Flyers, they imploded.
In total, the Flyers ended up with 99 penalty minutes while Washington accumulated 65. The scraps also sidelined Philadelphia’s Vinny Lecavalier (facial injuries) and Steve Downie (concussion) for a time.
Now the two teams will play each other twice over the span of three days, starting Sunday afternoon. Philadelphia is going into this with the memory of that blowout, but they don’t want to make too much out of the rematch.
His comments weren’t an outlier in the Flyers’ lockerroom. Scott Hartnell figures that it will be a physical match, but said his team needs to focus on getting points.
For his part Emery isn’t sure if there will be any carry over, but he’s happy that Philadelphia has bounced back since that game. That loss put them at 3-9-0 on the season and while they certainly can’t be happy with how the campaign has gone, at least they’re within striking distance of a playoff spot.
Washington currently holds second place in the Metropolitan Division and has a six-point cushion over Philadelphia. This is a rare opportunity for the Flyers to make up a lot of ground all at once. That alone should be enough motivation for them.
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 5
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 1
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)