Dec 14, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Both the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins came into Saturday’s game without their full compliment of players. The question is: when will Detroit get many of its injured players back?
- The Red Wings are “cautiously optimistic” that Henrik Zetterberg (herniated disc in back) can return on Dec. 28, which is the first game he’d be eligible to play thanks to his assignment to the LTIR. He skated for the first time since Dec. 1 today.
- Stephen Weiss might undergo another MRI for his worrisome groin injury, as the team’s awaiting the results from the first on Saturday. It appears that he won’t come back until after Christmas, which means he’s likely to miss six more games.
- Darren Helm and Danny DeKeyser are targeting a return on Dec. 28, too, and might even be back sooner.
This news comes on the heels of bad news for Jimmy Howard and tonight’s injury for Justin Abdelkader. At least it appears that Abdelkader might not be seriously injured, as Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)