Dec 14, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Both the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins came into Saturday’s game without their full compliment of players. The question is: when will Detroit get many of its injured players back?
- The Red Wings are “cautiously optimistic” that Henrik Zetterberg (herniated disc in back) can return on Dec. 28, which is the first game he’d be eligible to play thanks to his assignment to the LTIR. He skated for the first time since Dec. 1 today.
- Stephen Weiss might undergo another MRI for his worrisome groin injury, as the team’s awaiting the results from the first on Saturday. It appears that he won’t come back until after Christmas, which means he’s likely to miss six more games.
- Darren Helm and Danny DeKeyser are targeting a return on Dec. 28, too, and might even be back sooner.
This news comes on the heels of bad news for Jimmy Howard and tonight’s injury for Justin Abdelkader. At least it appears that Abdelkader might not be seriously injured, as Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 70
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5