Dec 14, 2013, 8:40 PM EST
Both the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins came into Saturday’s game without their full compliment of players. The question is: when will Detroit get many of its injured players back?
- The Red Wings are “cautiously optimistic” that Henrik Zetterberg (herniated disc in back) can return on Dec. 28, which is the first game he’d be eligible to play thanks to his assignment to the LTIR. He skated for the first time since Dec. 1 today.
- Stephen Weiss might undergo another MRI for his worrisome groin injury, as the team’s awaiting the results from the first on Saturday. It appears that he won’t come back until after Christmas, which means he’s likely to miss six more games.
- Darren Helm and Danny DeKeyser are targeting a return on Dec. 28, too, and might even be back sooner.
This news comes on the heels of bad news for Jimmy Howard and tonight’s injury for Justin Abdelkader. At least it appears that Abdelkader might not be seriously injured, as Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 1
- Devils fire DeBoer 18
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)