Dec 14, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Both the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins came into Saturday’s game without their full compliment of players. The question is: when will Detroit get many of its injured players back?
- The Red Wings are “cautiously optimistic” that Henrik Zetterberg (herniated disc in back) can return on Dec. 28, which is the first game he’d be eligible to play thanks to his assignment to the LTIR. He skated for the first time since Dec. 1 today.
- Stephen Weiss might undergo another MRI for his worrisome groin injury, as the team’s awaiting the results from the first on Saturday. It appears that he won’t come back until after Christmas, which means he’s likely to miss six more games.
- Darren Helm and Danny DeKeyser are targeting a return on Dec. 28, too, and might even be back sooner.
This news comes on the heels of bad news for Jimmy Howard and tonight’s injury for Justin Abdelkader. At least it appears that Abdelkader might not be seriously injured, as Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39