Dec 14, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT
Both the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins came into Saturday’s game without their full compliment of players. The question is: when will Detroit get many of its injured players back?
- The Red Wings are “cautiously optimistic” that Henrik Zetterberg (herniated disc in back) can return on Dec. 28, which is the first game he’d be eligible to play thanks to his assignment to the LTIR. He skated for the first time since Dec. 1 today.
- Stephen Weiss might undergo another MRI for his worrisome groin injury, as the team’s awaiting the results from the first on Saturday. It appears that he won’t come back until after Christmas, which means he’s likely to miss six more games.
- Darren Helm and Danny DeKeyser are targeting a return on Dec. 28, too, and might even be back sooner.
This news comes on the heels of bad news for Jimmy Howard and tonight’s injury for Justin Abdelkader. At least it appears that Abdelkader might not be seriously injured, as Fox Sports Detroit’s Trevor Thompson reports.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)