Dec 14, 2013, 6:44 PM EDT
Shawn Thornton‘s agent isn’t sure if the Boston Bruins forward will appeal his 15-game suspension to begin with, but if he does, things could get awfully interesting.
So far, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports that Thornton and the Bruins are assessing what kind of options they have. It’s no shock that the quotes seem pretty matter-of-fact, then.
“At this time, we will decline comment until process is complete and Shawn has exhausted all rights available to him,” Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said.
“I will be consulting with the [Bruins], my representation and the NHLPA about next steps,” Thornton said. “Until then I’ll have no further comment.”
Let’s move on from boring lawyer talk to more interesting lawyer talk: Haggerty believes that Thornton, 36, could be the first player to appeal his suspension all the way to an independent arbitrator. The appeal would first go through NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, so that process could take quite a while.
Still, that’s an interesting situation to watch. As you may remember, Patrick Kaleta nearly went that far regarding his 10-game suspension (reportedly causing a little bit of division within the NHLPA in the process) before eventually accepting his punishment.
Keep in mind that this is merely Haggerty’s opinion, as Thornton might not appeal it at all.
PHT will share the Pittsburgh Penguins’ reactions in a post later on tonight.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)