Dec 14, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils enforcer Cam Janssen recently suggested that the Shawn Thornton-Brooks Orpik incident could have been avoided had Orpik brawled with Thornton after his big hit on Loui Eriksson. The Boston Bruins star forward suffered his second concussion of the season as a result of the blow.
With the Detroit Red Wings getting ready to play the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight and the decision on Thornton looming after his in-person hearing yesterday, 41-year-old forward Daniel Alfredsson was asked if players should fight after delivering a big hit.
“Not at all,” he told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe. “That’s the old school. Let ref decide if it was illegal.”
Orpik didn’t receive a penalty on the play, but because of Thornton’s actions, Orpik is also dealing with a concussion. To be clear, Janssen doesn’t think that what Thornton did was “correct,” even if he feels that a fight would have prevented things from escalating further.
The NHL is expected to announce Thornton’s punishment around 4:00 p.m. ET, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)