Dec 13, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
News of the diagnosis comes just one day after Horward said he wasn’t “that concerned about” the injury, telling reporters he didn’t expect to be out of the lineup for very long.
But that was before the MRI.
Howard, who has struggled this season with a 6-8-7 record and .910 save percentage, could miss as many as 12 games should he sit out the full four weeks.
This will also likely jeopardize his chances of suiting up for the 2014 Winter Classic, when the Red Wings take on the Maple Leafs at the Big House and the University of Michigan.
With Howard out, the Wings will turn to Jonas Gustavsson as their No. 1 netminder and recently-recalled Petr Mrazek as their No. 2. Gustavsson has been solid this season, posting an 8-1-2 record with a 1.92 GAA and .933 save percentage, emerging as one of the best backup goalies in the NHL.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)