Dec 13, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
News of the diagnosis comes just one day after Horward said he wasn’t “that concerned about” the injury, telling reporters he didn’t expect to be out of the lineup for very long.
But that was before the MRI.
Howard, who has struggled this season with a 6-8-7 record and .910 save percentage, could miss as many as 12 games should he sit out the full four weeks.
This will also likely jeopardize his chances of suiting up for the 2014 Winter Classic, when the Red Wings take on the Maple Leafs at the Big House and the University of Michigan.
With Howard out, the Wings will turn to Jonas Gustavsson as their No. 1 netminder and recently-recalled Petr Mrazek as their No. 2. Gustavsson has been solid this season, posting an 8-1-2 record with a 1.92 GAA and .933 save percentage, emerging as one of the best backup goalies in the NHL.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)