Dec 13, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
The NHL salary cap is projected to exceed $71 million in 2014-15, which is a bigger jump than previously expected and great news for players with expiring contracts.
Joe Thornton is a prime example of that, but he might not take advantage of the situation.
“I don’t think it impacts us,” Joe’s agent and brother, John Thornton said, according to the San Jose Mercury News.
John predicted that people aren’t likely to be surprised by the type of deal his brother ends up signing. In the 34-year-old forward’s case, that likely means a three-year deal in the range of his current annual $7 million cap hit.
Aside from the shortened campaign, Thornton hasn’t recorded less than 70 points since he was limited to 66 contests in 2001-02. He’s off to another strong start this season with five goals and 34 points in 32 games.
Still, a higher salary cap will help the Sharks forward in another way. As John Thornton pointed out, it will make it easier for Sharks GM Doug Wilson to also re-sign forward Patrick Marleau and defenseman Dan Boyle.
“From our standpoint, I think Doug is trying to get all three done so it’s just a different circumstance,” the agent suggested.
If that’s the case, then the process is still in the preliminary stages. Marleau hasn’t had representation since his longtime agent Don Baizley passed away over the summer. Boyle has been in talks with the Sharks, but there’s no “real number” on the table, according to his agent.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)