Dec 13, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Evander Kane (lower body) has been cleared for contact and was healthy enough to join the Winnipeg Jets for Friday’s practice. If you want to know when he might be back though, don’t ask him.
“We’re not going to go down that road again,” Kane told the Winnipeg Sun.
The 22-year-old forward attempted to guess his return date from a lower-body injury in November, and when he Jets coach Claude Noel kept him out of the lineup longer than predicted, Kane argued that he was actually a healthy scratch. That might have contributed to later reports of tension between Kane and the club.
As far as Saturday’s game goes, Noel isn’t prepared to declare him ready to return after participating in just one practice.
“Normally we go a little longer for that,” Noel said. “Nothing’s changed. You want to try set a player up to succeed. And I’m not sure I feel comfortable with that right now.”
Kane has missed five straight games. Even when he’s been healthy, he hasn’t lived up to expectations with just 14 points in 26 contests.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)