Dec 13, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Evander Kane (lower body) has been cleared for contact and was healthy enough to join the Winnipeg Jets for Friday’s practice. If you want to know when he might be back though, don’t ask him.
“We’re not going to go down that road again,” Kane told the Winnipeg Sun.
The 22-year-old forward attempted to guess his return date from a lower-body injury in November, and when he Jets coach Claude Noel kept him out of the lineup longer than predicted, Kane argued that he was actually a healthy scratch. That might have contributed to later reports of tension between Kane and the club.
As far as Saturday’s game goes, Noel isn’t prepared to declare him ready to return after participating in just one practice.
“Normally we go a little longer for that,” Noel said. “Nothing’s changed. You want to try set a player up to succeed. And I’m not sure I feel comfortable with that right now.”
Kane has missed five straight games. Even when he’s been healthy, he hasn’t lived up to expectations with just 14 points in 26 contests.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 12
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 36
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6