Dec 13, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
Matt Greene is healthy, activated from injured reserve and apparently ready to play.
But that won’t get him back in the lineup.
On Friday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was decidedly non-committal about getting Greene back in the mix, meaning the veteran defenseman could miss a third game since coming off IR on Saturday when the Kings take on the Sens in Ottawa.
“I’m not going to put [Greene] in just to put him in,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Greene, 30, hasn’t played since a 4-3 loss to Nashville on Nov. 2.
It’s very possible that Sutter isn’t comfortable in throwing Greene back into the lineup, given how much time the physical rearguard has missed in the last calendar year.
Greene missed 43 of 48 games last year with a back injury not believed to be related to his upper-body issue. The sturdy, stay-at-home blueliner rebounded to appear in 15 games to start this season — averaging nearly 17 minutes while notching three points — overcoming offseason elbow surgery in the process.
But all told, he’s only appeared in 20 regular season games since the lockout ended.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 50
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (141)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)