Dec 13, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
Matt Greene is healthy, activated from injured reserve and apparently ready to play.
But that won’t get him back in the lineup.
On Friday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was decidedly non-committal about getting Greene back in the mix, meaning the veteran defenseman could miss a third game since coming off IR on Saturday when the Kings take on the Sens in Ottawa.
“I’m not going to put [Greene] in just to put him in,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Greene, 30, hasn’t played since a 4-3 loss to Nashville on Nov. 2.
It’s very possible that Sutter isn’t comfortable in throwing Greene back into the lineup, given how much time the physical rearguard has missed in the last calendar year.
Greene missed 43 of 48 games last year with a back injury not believed to be related to his upper-body issue. The sturdy, stay-at-home blueliner rebounded to appear in 15 games to start this season — averaging nearly 17 minutes while notching three points — overcoming offseason elbow surgery in the process.
But all told, he’s only appeared in 20 regular season games since the lockout ended.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 26
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 70
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (70)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)