Dec 13, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
Matt Greene is healthy, activated from injured reserve and apparently ready to play.
But that won’t get him back in the lineup.
On Friday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was decidedly non-committal about getting Greene back in the mix, meaning the veteran defenseman could miss a third game since coming off IR on Saturday when the Kings take on the Sens in Ottawa.
“I’m not going to put [Greene] in just to put him in,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Greene, 30, hasn’t played since a 4-3 loss to Nashville on Nov. 2.
It’s very possible that Sutter isn’t comfortable in throwing Greene back into the lineup, given how much time the physical rearguard has missed in the last calendar year.
Greene missed 43 of 48 games last year with a back injury not believed to be related to his upper-body issue. The sturdy, stay-at-home blueliner rebounded to appear in 15 games to start this season — averaging nearly 17 minutes while notching three points — overcoming offseason elbow surgery in the process.
But all told, he’s only appeared in 20 regular season games since the lockout ended.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)