Dec 13, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
Matt Greene is healthy, activated from injured reserve and apparently ready to play.
But that won’t get him back in the lineup.
On Friday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was decidedly non-committal about getting Greene back in the mix, meaning the veteran defenseman could miss a third game since coming off IR on Saturday when the Kings take on the Sens in Ottawa.
“I’m not going to put [Greene] in just to put him in,” Sutter told LA Kings Insider.
Greene, 30, hasn’t played since a 4-3 loss to Nashville on Nov. 2.
It’s very possible that Sutter isn’t comfortable in throwing Greene back into the lineup, given how much time the physical rearguard has missed in the last calendar year.
Greene missed 43 of 48 games last year with a back injury not believed to be related to his upper-body issue. The sturdy, stay-at-home blueliner rebounded to appear in 15 games to start this season — averaging nearly 17 minutes while notching three points — overcoming offseason elbow surgery in the process.
But all told, he’s only appeared in 20 regular season games since the lockout ended.
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 0
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 78
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 34
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 16
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 11
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 25
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (78)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)