Dec 13, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Nashville hasn’t missed the playoffs in back-to-back campaigns since 2003, but that trend is in danger of ending. The Predators are eight games out of a playoff spot with a 15-14-3 record.
Although they’ve been without goaltender Pekka Rinne for nearly two months, their bigger problem has actually been their offense, which ranks 23rd in the league with an average of 2.31 goals per game.
Nashville Predators GM David Poile views that as a key area of concern, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that significant changes are on the way.
“If we could improve the team by trade, I would be happy to do that. On the flip side of that, there are some guys who have not quite performed to how I think they can perform,” Poile told the Tennessean. “I think we’re exercising patience on that and hope and believe that they can help us win some more games.”
Poile’s patience also extends to coach Barry Trotz.
“We’ve been together for 15 years. We’ve been through situations like this,” Poile said.
When it comes to forwards that haven’t lived up to expectations, Viktor Stalberg sticks out. He’s in the first season of a four-year, $12 million contract, but he has just eight points in 26 games.
All the same, Poile suggested that there are a lot of forwards that have underperformed this season. Unless that changes, Nashville will have a very tough time making the playoffs.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)