Dec 13, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Nashville hasn’t missed the playoffs in back-to-back campaigns since 2003, but that trend is in danger of ending. The Predators are eight games out of a playoff spot with a 15-14-3 record.
Although they’ve been without goaltender Pekka Rinne for nearly two months, their bigger problem has actually been their offense, which ranks 23rd in the league with an average of 2.31 goals per game.
Nashville Predators GM David Poile views that as a key area of concern, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that significant changes are on the way.
“If we could improve the team by trade, I would be happy to do that. On the flip side of that, there are some guys who have not quite performed to how I think they can perform,” Poile told the Tennessean. “I think we’re exercising patience on that and hope and believe that they can help us win some more games.”
Poile’s patience also extends to coach Barry Trotz.
“We’ve been together for 15 years. We’ve been through situations like this,” Poile said.
When it comes to forwards that haven’t lived up to expectations, Viktor Stalberg sticks out. He’s in the first season of a four-year, $12 million contract, but he has just eight points in 26 games.
All the same, Poile suggested that there are a lot of forwards that have underperformed this season. Unless that changes, Nashville will have a very tough time making the playoffs.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 2
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 37
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)