Dec 13, 2013, 10:54 PM EDT
It couldn’t have been the scenario the Florida Panthers wanted. Even though they beat the Detroit Red Wings in a shootout on Tuesday, on paper Florida looked outmatched by the Washington Capitals when it came to the skills competition.
Washington went into tonight’s contest with a league-leading seven shootout wins in nine attempts. Panthers goaltender Scott Clemmensen got off to a shaky start, but he went on to best six straight shooters until forward Tomas Kopecky finally scored for Florida in the 10th round to secure the 3-2 victory.
After his four-goal night on Tuesday, Ovechkin was shut down by the Panthers. They limited him to just two shots on goal and the superstar was equally ineffective tonight in the shootout. However, Joel Ward did become the second player on the team to reach the 10-goal milestone.
With that, the Panthers have now won four of their last five games, making this the best stretch of their 11-17-5 campaign. Meanwhile, the Capitals have dropped to 17-12-3 and have consequently slipped a point in the battle with the Pittsburgh Penguins for the Metropolitan Division title.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 73
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (73)