Dec 13, 2013, 10:54 PM EDT
It couldn’t have been the scenario the Florida Panthers wanted. Even though they beat the Detroit Red Wings in a shootout on Tuesday, on paper Florida looked outmatched by the Washington Capitals when it came to the skills competition.
Washington went into tonight’s contest with a league-leading seven shootout wins in nine attempts. Panthers goaltender Scott Clemmensen got off to a shaky start, but he went on to best six straight shooters until forward Tomas Kopecky finally scored for Florida in the 10th round to secure the 3-2 victory.
After his four-goal night on Tuesday, Ovechkin was shut down by the Panthers. They limited him to just two shots on goal and the superstar was equally ineffective tonight in the shootout. However, Joel Ward did become the second player on the team to reach the 10-goal milestone.
With that, the Panthers have now won four of their last five games, making this the best stretch of their 11-17-5 campaign. Meanwhile, the Capitals have dropped to 17-12-3 and have consequently slipped a point in the battle with the Pittsburgh Penguins for the Metropolitan Division title.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)