Dec 13, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Cory Schneider will be in goal for the Devils tonight as they take on the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
Schneider hasn’t played in a full week, with his last action coming in a 3-1 loss to Detroit on Friday. Schneider stopped 18 of 21 in that game, then watched as Martin Brodeur played on Saturday versus New York and Tuesday in Columbus.
Marty Brodeur's last four games: 15 goals on 86 shots, for a save percentage of .826.—
Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) December 13, 2013
Marc-Andre Fleury will get the nod for Pittsburgh. He’s red hot, having won four of his last five while posting a 1.38 GAA and .951 save percentage.
Grubauer vs. Clemmensen in Florida — get tickets while you still can!
Not exactly a marquee matchup tonight, but still an interesting one…
Phillip Grubauer will make his second start of the week on Friday for the Caps, this after stopping 32 of 34 shots in a win over Tampa Bay on Tuesday. The German goalie was called up to Washington in the wake of an injury to Michal Neuvirth and has taken full advantage of the opportunity, winning each of his first two starts.
Florida will counter with Scott Clemmensen tonight, replacing injured starter Tim Thomas. Clemmensen allowed six goals on 32 shots against Chicago on Sunday and, quite frankly, has been brutal all year. Probably worth mentioning that Alex Ovechkin has five goals in his last three games. Panthers might wanna put a man on him.
– It’ll be Roberto Luongo vs. Devan Dubnyk tonight when the Canucks host the Oilers in Vancouver. No real surprises here, though it’s interesting Luongo starts tonight with tomorrow’s huge clash vs. Boston on the horizon.
You’d expect Luongo would also get the nod against the Bruins but, lest we forget, the last time these two teams met it was Schneider that got the nod, not Luongo.
On that note, here is a picture of Canucks backup goalie Eddie Lack.
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 12
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)