Dec 13, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Cory Schneider will be in goal for the Devils tonight as they take on the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
Schneider hasn’t played in a full week, with his last action coming in a 3-1 loss to Detroit on Friday. Schneider stopped 18 of 21 in that game, then watched as Martin Brodeur played on Saturday versus New York and Tuesday in Columbus.
Marc-Andre Fleury will get the nod for Pittsburgh. He’s red hot, having won four of his last five while posting a 1.38 GAA and .951 save percentage.
Grubauer vs. Clemmensen in Florida — get tickets while you still can!
Not exactly a marquee matchup tonight, but still an interesting one…
Phillip Grubauer will make his second start of the week on Friday for the Caps, this after stopping 32 of 34 shots in a win over Tampa Bay on Tuesday. The German goalie was called up to Washington in the wake of an injury to Michal Neuvirth and has taken full advantage of the opportunity, winning each of his first two starts.
Florida will counter with Scott Clemmensen tonight, replacing injured starter Tim Thomas. Clemmensen allowed six goals on 32 shots against Chicago on Sunday and, quite frankly, has been brutal all year. Probably worth mentioning that Alex Ovechkin has five goals in his last three games. Panthers might wanna put a man on him.
— It’ll be Roberto Luongo vs. Devan Dubnyk tonight when the Canucks host the Oilers in Vancouver. No real surprises here, though it’s interesting Luongo starts tonight with tomorrow’s huge clash vs. Boston on the horizon.
You’d expect Luongo would also get the nod against the Bruins but, lest we forget, the last time these two teams met it was Schneider that got the nod, not Luongo.
On that note, here is a picture of Canucks backup goalie Eddie Lack.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)