Dec 13, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Cory Schneider will be in goal for the Devils tonight as they take on the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
Schneider hasn’t played in a full week, with his last action coming in a 3-1 loss to Detroit on Friday. Schneider stopped 18 of 21 in that game, then watched as Martin Brodeur played on Saturday versus New York and Tuesday in Columbus.
Marc-Andre Fleury will get the nod for Pittsburgh. He’s red hot, having won four of his last five while posting a 1.38 GAA and .951 save percentage.
Grubauer vs. Clemmensen in Florida — get tickets while you still can!
Not exactly a marquee matchup tonight, but still an interesting one…
Phillip Grubauer will make his second start of the week on Friday for the Caps, this after stopping 32 of 34 shots in a win over Tampa Bay on Tuesday. The German goalie was called up to Washington in the wake of an injury to Michal Neuvirth and has taken full advantage of the opportunity, winning each of his first two starts.
Florida will counter with Scott Clemmensen tonight, replacing injured starter Tim Thomas. Clemmensen allowed six goals on 32 shots against Chicago on Sunday and, quite frankly, has been brutal all year. Probably worth mentioning that Alex Ovechkin has five goals in his last three games. Panthers might wanna put a man on him.
— It’ll be Roberto Luongo vs. Devan Dubnyk tonight when the Canucks host the Oilers in Vancouver. No real surprises here, though it’s interesting Luongo starts tonight with tomorrow’s huge clash vs. Boston on the horizon.
You’d expect Luongo would also get the nod against the Bruins but, lest we forget, the last time these two teams met it was Schneider that got the nod, not Luongo.
On that note, here is a picture of Canucks backup goalie Eddie Lack.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12